Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KSD Proto J v70 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey guys, I found one of these used but totally clean, no dings or anything just low action, at my local GC. I was really diggin it and was wondering if any of you who own them could shed some extra light on the bass, what it does well, what it does not do well, basically any information you have as well as what they should run used. Thanks guys!

2. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Bump for the morning crowd :)

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Have you tried a search?? These have been discussed before.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I bought one new and sold it after 6 months or so. HUGE neck but well-balanced on a strap. Good tone. Lousy fretwork and the neck was never quite right despite a number of truss-rod adjustments. Still...for the money, a good buy. Killer slap tone.

5. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    It's certainly a good bass for the money. I got one off ebay as a second and I love it. It has a great slap tone and the 19mm spacing makes it easier. It is heavy though and the neck is chunky. Definitely get a good strap if you get one. The fretwork needs some improvement. I've sliced my hands a few times on it.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    disclaimer: i am a dealer and i sold boogiebass the one he had- i have to say , i agree with both posts above.. i was really surprised how good it sounded. i dialed a good setup on one i had here , but the neck is chunky-- but man, blocks AND binding at that price? the bass was cool..

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    For sure I did a search, I've been around long enough to know to do my research before starting threads :) I too was AMAZEd at the insanely awesome slap tone, and I'm not much of a slapper, but I also liked it's smooth fingerstyle tones and easy to work pre. I think I'll trade my Fender J5 for it tonight, the J just doesn't fit my sound, never really did. So how much do these go for used? I'm guessing in the vicinity of 550-650? GC is trying to price it at 799 USED. I shook my head, admittedly it is in perfect exterior shape, except for a couple pickguard scratches, but those are to be expected. Even so, I figure if I can talk them down to 6 and get 4-5 for my J I'll come out ahead. Thanks for all your info and help guys, I appreciate it a lot!

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My SX had blocks and binding.. It was 100$ :p

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think I paid 699 NEW, not sure though mighta been 799, if you can talk them way down it seems like a good deal if its what you really want. I recently got rid of it to help pay for a MTD535, I semi-miss it although after being spoiled by the MTD, I might replace it with a Sadowsky Metro once I can get the scratch together.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I've found a place that'll ship it to my door for 775 brand new so 799 used is absolutely just not going to happen. I figure 600 is acceptable, we'll see what I can make happen. Thanks again.

Ralph

11. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Whoa... apparently these routinely close for around 5 or even less on ebay so I'm gonna have to rethink my pitch on this one. I'll keep you guys updated.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Due to the stupidity of a certain Guitar Center employee I am home without a KSD. Man, I hate stupid people!

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    so how much are they paying for KSDs? Maybe I'll go buy a bunch and sell em off to guitar center, maybe I'll own me a Stingray after all :p

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't own one, but I've tried out a fretted and a fretless 5 string. I generally agree with previous posts. The neck is slightly chunky, but it's not that bad. it's got a great Fender Jazz Bass style tone (slapping, fingerstyle, and the Jaco style growl on the fretless). I keep hearing how they don't quite fit into standard-sized bass gig bags, because of the headstock I guess. At the right price, say under $750 to $800, these are great sounding Jazz Basses that you must check out.

15. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    one of the guys at my local one is an absolute moron, honestly one of the most obnoxious and annoying human beings I've ever come across. You go in to try out or just tool around on some basses and he comes up to you unannounced and won't walk away just starts talking about himself and how good he is and how he's met Victor Wooten and all this other crap. And he doesn't stop EVER. I hate this kid but that's just a personal rant. Okay. This same moron bought the KSD off a guy for 575. I was cool with trading them my Fender plus around 200-225 cash for this thing. After screwing around for an hour the deal goes south because "management has to have their cut" ***????? What kind of bull**** is that? They're like "someone else will come and buy it at that price" I feel bad for whoever that sucker is cuz they're getting SCREWED. I feel better now. And yes, these are sweet basses and I intend to lay my hands on one, if anyone is selling their 70's model 5er PM me.

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    HA!! Persistence is a virtue guys! I called them up today asked for the manager said I'll give you this much money, I'll walk in, hand you the check and walk right out what do you say? He goes sure. This was like 75 bucks cheaper than the moron from last night was talking about. So he calls me right back and says that doesn't include taxes, tells me taxes will jack the price up another 50 bucks. I say that's not gonna happen. He goes ok. Then I say we'll split the taxes, I pay 20, you pay the rest. Turns out GC made FIVE DOLLARS on the sale, that's it. 5 bucks... I've never been so pleased with a sale in my life. Best part is the bass is TOTALLY clean, not a single scuff mark on it, neck or body and no gaps in the neck pocket or anything, it's as perfect as I can imagine without taking it to my local setup guy to see if there's something wrong I can't see. The deal was solid but not earthshaking. Just goes to prove that if you go around all the middlemen who can't do squat for you and go straight for the brass and tell them the situation good things happen. Plus the bass is SWEET. I guess there's no point in pics since they all look the same, natural ash with a maple neck and white blocks and binding. For me, it's an amazing backup bass :hyper:

17. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Quick question for those who have owned this bass... what strings sound best on it to your ears? It came with a new shiny set of D'Addarios on it and for the first time ever I liked the sound of D'Addarios on a bass but I thought my trademark Hi Beams would improve the sound but it seems as though they haven't, at least not before they're broken in they haven't. Perhaps they'll sound better in a few days but so far the B string is nothing special.... So do any of you gents have a rec for me as far as strings? Thanks a lot guys and man you were right, good quality, great slap sound without even touching the EQ on my bass or amp or pedals or anything, it just sounds great.