Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KSD Proto J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danhorne, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Hey guys, i've done searches and some researching on these basses and have liked what i've heard to far. except that some have had bad fret work (easy fix) and that they are heavy.

What i would like to know is how heavy they are? any one that has one have a weight? or any well informed guess? i've heard that they are heavy, however no actual weight. Some ones idea of heavy may be different from mine. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

oh and one more thing, anyone know what would be a normal used price for one?

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've got a 5 string 70's model and I'd peg it's weight around 9-10 pounds, honestly it doesn't feel heavy to me but I'm a good sized guy. I love mine, the slap tone is unbelievable and the preamp is more useful than the one in my Warwick and the KSD's is only a 2 band. Lots of good tones in this bass, I'd liken the neck pickup to a less muddy P, not the same lows but more clarity. Good luck, hope you love it!

Used they go for about 500 on eBay without a case. I paid more but mine was honestly pristine, not a scratch on her and came with a hardshell.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just sold a fretless 5 of mine, it was perhaps a little heavy but nothing serious, probably between 9 and 10 lbs max. Great bass, both overall and stupidly good for the money. I'm surprised more people don't know about these.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's a 60's model, which is alder/sunburst, and a 70's model - ash/natural.

I think they're great basses for the cash, they're not light but not noticeable heavy either IMO. The stock pickups are very good, with a very full and even frequency range. The preamp is very usable, very versatile. I generally prefer a 70's jazz bass vibe, but in this case I actually preferred the 60's model. Both were great value

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a retro J5 and it weighed slightly over 10 pounds and did need some attention to the frets around the 11th and 12th.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Mine was about 10-11 pounds? It felt heavy after playing with it for extended periods of time on my thin strap. Wasn't super bad. It had a great setup, it was the 70s model 5 string, didn't have any bad frets or anything, maybe I got lucky

7. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    My 70's 5-string weighs slightly over 10 pounds.

8. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I'd love to play one of these! Only proble is I can't find a dealer in my city. I went to the Ken Smith web page, but couldn;t find any info on dealer locations. Anyone know of a dealer within 150 miles of Dayton, Ohio?
    Thanks!

9. What exactly is considered bad fretwork? When you can see the end of the frets, or lines where the frets are on the side of the fretboard right? How do you fix it?

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I think they are the best Jazz copies out there, for the money.

11. Is there any major diff betweent he V70 and V60. I would expect the V60 having a rosewood fingerboard to be warmer then the V70's maple Board. How about weight? is there a diff between the two? would any one have pics of their KSD's.

thanks
    Dan

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I believe the v60 also has an alder body in addition to the rosewood board so it would be a little warmer. Having owned m v70 for a while I think the 60 might be the way to go as mine is VERY bright, and I like bright.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    >>>>>>>>>> This is NOT an Advertisment! <<<<<<<<<<

We are working with Brooklyn Gear and the Korean Factory that produces the KSDs to gradually improve the quality of these Basses in order to meet my Standards. They have gotten better each Production Run so there is a Bright Future for this Model.
    This has been the main reason for 'Short Supply' as we do not want to let them out in the 1000s until we know all bugs have been worked out. In the last 60 Basses tested, only a few have had to have a single faulty pot replaced. This is miles above the first few Runs from this Factory.......KSDs will continue to Improve directly out of the Box as time goes on.....Enjoy.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm looking at getting a Fender American 5 or one of these... I haven't seen a KSD anywhere... How do they compare? Are the electronics/pickups similar to Ken Smith basses?

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    THe KSD is head and shoulders above the Fender given Fenders "hit and miss" quality control.

My KSD is superb. Not a flaw.