1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ksd quandry

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by da drive first, Mar 28, 2006.

1. da drive first

da drive first Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2005
    southeast pa
    I just procured a ksd-705 in a trade. it does fender better than fender ever could ,the only shortcoming is those cursed single coil pickups and cheezy g&g preamp .what would you suggest as an aftermarket retrofit which will retain the tone ,without the noise, yet be cost effective?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    change the preamp and change the pickups and you changed the whole tone of the bass, so if you dig it now, it could ruin it for you.. having said that, i like the j retro deluxe pre's. maybe talk to Carey Nordstrand about a pickup that would fit as well. i dog the tone of the ksd's as well- a lot fo bass for the $

3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    If it were me, I might try a set of Nordstrand Big Singles run passive, and then get the outboard (pedal) Sadowsky preamp. I think those pickups would make any J sound great, and you could use your preamp for other passive basses you come across.

Cool bass. At the price, it's hard to justify not having one.

4. da drive first

Mar 17, 2005
    southeast pa
    c,mon guys I really need help on this.

5. your going to have a hard time finding pups that are going to match the KSD.

The neck and bridge are the same exact size, get a ruler out and measure... you'll see.

There's probably no PUPS mfr out there that is going to fit standard, and also have the string spacing match.. YOu may be able to get it done with two bridge pups.. but it gets complicated with revers windings ect...

imo, if you like it, leave it.
    just bypass the preamp IMO, go passive !
    the pups are going to be a tough issue my friend, trust me.

6. da drive first

Mar 17, 2005
    southeast pa
    I just installed a pair of fender noiseless pickups. it seems both routings are the size of a fender bridge pickup ,for the neck pickup has extra room :hyper:

7. wow, i'm supprised it worked out. good.

my research told me it wouldn't.... glad it worked out for you.

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I really like the Duncan preamp, but I mainly play rock and it's pretty voiced for that. How much room do you have to work with?

9. da drive first

Mar 17, 2005
    southeast pa
    well ,I have a bartolini preamp lying around however, I want a preamp that will give the cleanest representation of the natural tone of the bass.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you can fit some Nordies in there, go for it.

-Mike

11. da drive first

Mar 17, 2005
    southeast pa
    what are you guys thoughts as far as a pickup/preamp combination?

12. i really like the preamp in my KSD:bag: ..what didnt you like about the pickups anyway?..i was thinking about throwing a bartolini 2 band in and maybe some bart pickups in it to get a more larry graham tone..but im happy with it...sounds awesome

13. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i liked the KSD just fine stock. but i wonder, what is the Larry Graham/Bartolini connection?

14. larry grahams moons have bartolini pickups and pre's in them...

15. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hah! learn something new every day! i didn't know that. sure works for Larry! :)

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    what pickups do the moons have now? are they moons own pus?

17. i beleive kent armstrongs

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I'd like to know the same thing. :eyebrow:

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Alright,but Larry sounds the same on the early Fenders that he was playing during the 70's as well as the Moons that he currently plays. :meh:

20. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    Hey Millard, Before we did the trade Thang, I was going to go the J-Retro way, but was told the control plates did not match up and that the control cavity might have to be routed too. Do the Bartolini 2 band or even an Aguilar 2 band boost only. That would definitely get you even closer to the Marcus vibe. Hope your still happy with the KSD and I might still get one again, if I stumble on to one used. give a call some time and I really liked the Rolthstein 6 !!!!!
    Tony