Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KT-66's in an Ampeg V-4BH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by X Wolf, Mar 12, 2006.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Just curious, has anyone ever tried using KT-66's in place of 6L6's in an Ampeg V-4BH, or do you know if they will fit/work with the stock transformers?

George

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm curious as well, as I have a Bassman 135 with 6L6's, and always wondered if I could put KT66's in it.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    morning bump*

4. In both cases, it's a question of the filament winding of the power transformer being able to supply the extra current that KT66's need. The only way to tell is to have a tech try it. They'd probably work better in a Bassman 135 than a V4BH simply because the V4BH isn't going to give them enough voltage to make much of a differnce. The Bassman 135's ultralinear topology is much better suited to them.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    very interesting:D which KT66's do you like best PBG?

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Thank You Psycho Bass Guy, I appreciate the input. Any other input from anyone out there on modding or replacing tubes on the V-4BH would also be welcome.

BassGreaser, good luck with your project!

George

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Evening Bump*

8. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I used to play SVT II Pro's with Svet 6550c's. One of the heads I bought sounded different and when I looked under the hood it had KT66's in it. At first I was going to take them out but then I kept listening to them and actually liked the sound. I can't really explain it. It was different but good - not better than the Svet's just different. Wish I could tell you in more detail but that's it. I sold the heads later to go to a lighter rack.