1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KT-66's in an Ampeg V-4BH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by X Wolf, Mar 12, 2006.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Just curious, has anyone ever tried using KT-66's in place of 6L6's in an Ampeg V-4BH, or do you know if they will fit/work with the stock transformers?

George

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm curious as well, as I have a Bassman 135 with 6L6's, and always wondered if I could put KT66's in it.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    morning bump*

4. In both cases, it's a question of the filament winding of the power transformer being able to supply the extra current that KT66's need. The only way to tell is to have a tech try it. They'd probably work better in a Bassman 135 than a V4BH simply because the V4BH isn't going to give them enough voltage to make much of a differnce. The Bassman 135's ultralinear topology is much better suited to them.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    very interesting:D which KT66's do you like best PBG?

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Thank You Psycho Bass Guy, I appreciate the input. Any other input from anyone out there on modding or replacing tubes on the V-4BH would also be welcome.

BassGreaser, good luck with your project!

George

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Evening Bump*

8. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I used to play SVT II Pro's with Svet 6550c's. One of the heads I bought sounded different and when I looked under the hood it had KT66's in it. At first I was going to take them out but then I kept listening to them and actually liked the sound. I can't really explain it. It was different but good - not better than the Svet's just different. Wish I could tell you in more detail but that's it. I sold the heads later to go to a lighter rack.