Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KT66 in Mesa Buster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Found an earlier topic talking about replacing the 6L6s in the Buster with KT66. Can this be easily done? What's the gain ( :) ) ?

And BTW, Boy is the Buster getting mixed reviews here... :)

2. sorry, no answer to your q. but what is your impression of the buster?
    i´ve just been reading about someone comparing it to a bassman 100!
    i thought the buster had more of a aggressive sound with lots of treble and not dark as some say :eyebrow:
    kul med lite norrlänningar här förresten!

3. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    As far as replacing power tubes...I couldn't say, mine sounds GREAT with Svetlana 6GLC's- Check with a knowledgeable tech, I know there are subs for the factory Mesa tubes available.
    As for mixed reviews:
    Opinions are like---you know the rest.

I use a Buster Wedge- It's loud, phat, and has an excellent tone.
    My opinion- How you sound is based mostly on your ability as a player,not a popular view at Talkbass.

4. I'm not an experienced tech but I changed out some non-working KT66's in a hifi amp with 6l6's and it worked fine. REally nice sounding amp for hifi.

5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    AFAIK, KT66 will replace any 6L6GC, but not necessarily th other way around.

All things being equal (which they never are), KT66 should give you better bass and smoother mids. I've heard decidedly mixed reviews of the current production. You'll pay a long buck for any NOS, though. In my home stereo, I run 350B, possibly the best 6L6 type ever built. (Avoid the new Golden Dragon 350B-I've heard about high failures and middling sound.) The National Union (licensed by Western Electric) 350B absolutely trounce the GE or RCA 6L6GC in both my home stereo and my Ampeg B15N. Clean headroom galore, bass extension, midrange finesse... it's all there in spades, folks. But I do digress...

Real (NOS) KT66 are too expensive for regular use in a bass amp, IMO. I quit using the 350B in my Ampeg, as I felt it just wasn't worth the extra expense. After all, they easily go for $500/quad used. They went back into storage for future use in my McIntosh MC30. I'll use them to record with in a bass amp, but that's it.

The KT66 would most likely require a re-bias and that's it.

6. I've just gotten the Buster so I haven't been able to try it out extensively yet. I'm also shopping for a new cab so there'll be a lot of trying out... :)

Judging from the little i have played it it sounds real good! I've also seen reviews saying that it might a bit "bright" and hard but I didn't get that feeling at all. I got mine in replacement of a vintage Ampeg V4B which was great, but a little too dark for me...also, I feel the extra 100W might be good sometimes, as well as the modern features of DI, loop and such...

I have the head only version, no combo. Bias is non-adjustable on these amps, but hey - that's what tech guys are for, I've senn people who have had there Mesa's retrofitted with adjustable bias...