Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KT88 equivalent = GEC TT21 (PBG?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ampegsvtca, May 31, 2004.

1. This question is directed towards Psycho Bass Guy. Would the GEC TT21 which is supposed to be a equivalent to a KT88 also work in place of 6146 tubes in an Ampeg SVT? It has a higher plate voltage than a KT88 and has the top anode cap as well. Or would the required modifications be as much or more work than converting from 6146's to 6550's. I was just curious as my dream amp would be a vintage 1969-1970 svt with its original 6146's.

2. No; they pinout differently. You could rewire the sockets, but it's not worth it. Given the cost of TT21's because of their similarity to Genalex KT88's, it's going to be VERY expensive to find a sextet. If you're wanting to go the rewiring route, I'd recommend the 6KG6 (same as the Traynor Super Custom Special ) It's very common, cheap, and will take a heap of abuse. Not many people know this, but the 6KG6 is the basis for the KT90 and KT90's are GREAT bass amp tubes.