Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KT88s in place of 6550 tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chbecker, Dec 29, 2002.

1. I recently purchased an Aguilar DB359 Tube amp. I have heard good things about the Electro-Harmonix KT-88 tubes. Does any body know if the DB359 will except KT88s instead of the 6550 tubes?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The KT88 is a great tube, but you may have trouble fitting them in the Aguilar DB359. They are larger than a 6550.

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I thought this was a Star Wars Bounty hunter thread!!!!!

:rolleyes: :cool:

4. Well, I email aguilar and they said the KT88s would be to fat to fit. Oh well. Can anyone recommend a very crisp/clear sounding 6550? I have heard Valve Art makes some tight stuff.

5. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    hmmm..... the Svetlana 6550C is what's stock with the DB 359. It's pretty much the most "hi-fi" 6550 out.
    New Sensor (Electro-Harmonix) has 6550's with more midrange. Some people say to avoid chinese 6550's. Don't get GE 6550's from the early 90's (labeled from a plant in Kentucky).Overpriced and failure prone.
    Military GE 6550's from the 80's are smooth sounding and full-range. Very sturdy.
    Don't know about any others, but there may be more out there.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The JJ/Tesla KT88's fit fine in my DB728, but indeed, there is probably more room.

7. Fat Willy in Denver did a retube for me a couple of years back. I had my Trace V6 retubed with Sovtek 6550s in place of the original KT88s and have been really happy with the sound. It was cheaper too! Is there a good reason to use KT88s?:confused:

8. No good reason other then I want to re-tube and the KT88EH tubes seem to fit the bill for the tone I am looking for (according to what I have read anyway).

I am happy to use 6550 if that is what I have to do. There are GT6550's in there now. I have heard they have a higher rate of failure so that was my motivation to re-tube.

Maybe the 6550's by ElectroHarmonix might be worth a shot. Any thoughts or opinions?

9. I really like the Sovtek 6550WE's nice midrange and not too expensive. I think that the Electro Harmonix come from the same factory but I could be wrong. I also have a set of the MPD 6550A's made in Owensboro, KY. in my svt sound good to me. Came from Watford valves in England so they should be well screened but I did pay way too much for them. They also glow blue which may suggest a weaker vacuum. Psycho Bass Guy, what is your favorite 6550 in the SVT?

10. Had an email with Ned over at triodeel.com and got the measurements of the sovtek KT88. I think they will fit in my DB359 with out any problem.

If I put the KT88s in my power section, would I still bais to the same voltage as the 6550s?

11. When you say "more voltage tolerant" does this mean more tolerant of bias voltage imbalances?