1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ktone Machine Gun Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LKdubby, Mar 15, 2008.

1. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone here own one of these? Does the thing even sound/feel decent? Can it be upgraded with better pickups, etc.? Or is it really just a toy with 4 strings on it?

Buy it now for $159.00 on Ebay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That thing looks like it would go perfectly with some heavy reggae dub!

I searched for Ktone on TB search and found nothing.. Same goes for "machine gun bass"..

Anyone got feedback about this item? Thanks!

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've seen those before too and thought they were basically toys. I've never played one, but my thought is $160 won't buy you a whole lot of bass. You get what you pay for....a novelty item.

3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ..but at $159 you don't have a lot to lose if it is a POS!

4. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    For the sake of adding to this thread with some Google'able resources I'm going to add a review of the bass..
    I messaged one of the buyers on Ebay to get his opinion on the bass and this is what he had to say about it;

As to be expected I s'pose.. But..

I still think it looks like a very cool bass to play dub reggae on! And.. Should I say it.. Being a hands on kinda guy I'm somewhat interested in completely customizing "a" bass. Don't have a bass to do that with yet tho..

How much would I have to spend to give a bass like this a complete overhaul and give it decent electronics/tuners/bridge/etc..? <--Stupid question? :scratchesHead:

5. ktoneowner

ktoneowner

May 3, 2008
    i just looking around google to find other places than ebay where they sell ktone guitars, well then i found this forum and you're talking about a ktone guitar and i tought that was cool:hyper:

well all i can say i don't play bass guitar but i got a ktone guitar!;)

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    :confused: Surely any cheap bass can be upgraded with better pickups, etc. But you'd be stuck with the uncool shape.

7. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might wanna be careful where you pull that sucker out! :D

8. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've thought about one before as a rebuild project, but i couldnt stand the big old 'sight' knob on the upper side. It reminds me a lot of the Sirius M16 bass KMFDM's Sascha Konietzko played back in the 80s and early 90s. (although that was a 3-string!) If you think the shape is the best look for you, and have a couple hundred extra to redo the electronics and harware issues I'd say go for it.

9. LzeroKI

LzeroKI

Dec 24, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    I really dont mean this as an attack on your logic or opinons but I dont see why this would make a good dub reggae bass, care to explain?

10. I still don't understand why people keep thinking it's a good idea to drag this design out of the toilet every decade or so.

Why don't they shape these basses as vacuums instead, because they plain suck.

And admittedly, I don't get the reggae comment either.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Nah...that's a Wishbass.:D

12. True, Wish does make one the looks like what would happen if you sucked up dog crap in a Dyson...:smug:

13. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    That bass is a silly idea at best.

14. I'm with Mon and cdef. I think that bass is crass.

15. Well, Peter Tosh did play a similar shaped guitar at one time.... Oh yeah, he was murdered in 1987. RIP

-mike

16. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    +1

17. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Revolution, Buffalo Soldier, Rastafari, Get Up Stand Up, Babylon, etc etc

18. And one needs a South Park-looking bass like that to play those songs?

I dunno. Wouldn't it be better for '97' Bonnie and Clyde,' 'Bad meets evil,' or maybe '2 hard muthas.'

19. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I had one of the Hondo machine gun basses in the 80s. It was a fun gimmick bass to go with my tiger fur covered bass.

20. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I was just reading about Ktone in another thread and it made me want to pull up this old machine gun bass thread for some reference..

I am "re-opening" the topic now because I never realized there were so many replies/questions waiting for me here... I must have disappeared for a week or two after originally posting this thread.. :meh: Sorry..

So to start with;
    My original statement was spawned by an idea that I had for a reggae theme.. There are a great many reggae songs which tell of oppression, suffering, and killing.. A machine gun symbolizes all of those things without even needing to try.. I'm a visual person and an artist. I come up with themes for different things like websites, winamp skins, php discussion boards, etc.. I've been doing art far longer in my life than music. However now that I'm finally getting more into music I can't help but still look at it from my visual artistic side.. To me it makes perfect sense to hammer out the SufferageDub on a machine gun bass, providing it sounds good! Nice and visually symbolic of opression and killing. Kinda fits in tight with the reggae theme, IMHO!

I honestly still like the machine gun idea, but have not made any motions towards buying one of the ktone basses..

Exactly!

Bad Omen?