Kubicki anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string fury, Apr 25, 2004.

1. i was wondering if anyone has owned or played a kubicki ex-factor before, how do these basses fair to slap bass, would you say better or worse than a musicman stingray for sound and feel?(yes i kno theres abit of a difference in the price etc of the 2 but all opinions are welcome)
    Thanks alot for the help. :help:

Metallica :bassist: :bring back jason
  2. The Kubicki X-Factor (with the drop D) bass is a 32" scale instrument while the Stingray is a 34". You can order a Factor in 34" (no drop D) however. Although I really loved my pre-Fender X-Factor for it's tone and playability I personally prefer a 34" scale and let it go a while back.

Almost forgot... VG for slap.
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I had one of the 34" scale Factor basses and I didn't like it at all. I'm not much for slapping so keep that in mind. It was heavy and didn't fit me ergonomically. I didn't like the controls either. I could get a couple of good sounds out of it but overall it didn't work for me at all. YMMV.
  4. Interesting. I had a 34" scale Factor from the Fender era for a short while and felt exactly the same way about it.
  5. i like the factor although ive only played one unplugged... very cool bass, i once saw a kubicki jazz bass on ebay... has anyone ever had any experience with those?
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought my Kubicki new back in 90'. Won't ever let it go.
    It is a Fender Custom Shop Kubicki. This is one of my favorite basses.

For me it's one of the most comfortable basses I have ever played. I believe the bass design was built with ergonomics in mind, very well balanced.

Playability is great, neck is multi-laminate maple, 28 for my neck. The neck is fast and easy to play.

I love slapping on this bass.

There are e few on EBAY right now. If I find a good deal I want to pick up another one.

If you are looking for one of the custom Kubicki basses, then go here, http://www.kubicki.com/
    There are also some sound clips.
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I loved every real X-factor I ever played. But I was really disappointed in a 'sure-looked-like-an-Xfactor-but-had-a-different-name-than-Kubicki' bass I played at the last guitar show I went to. The price was good and from a distance it loked like a Kubicki. (You don't see a lot of basses with that bridge, that D-capo, or that body shape.) So I played it.

It sucked. :(

No. That's not strong enough.

It sucked worse than a two dollar hooker. :spit:

There, that was closer. (Mods edit if you have to. I'm never sure where the line is.)

I don't remember tha name of that bass. WHen I refer to it I call it the Travesty. But real Kubickis area absolutely the stuff. One of my favorites ever for recording tone.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Kenny G's bassist, Vail Johnson, plays a Kubicki X-Factor and slaps the hell out of it!
  9. being a very proud kubicki owner (ex owner stu hamm.....hi dustinjustin..lol), very early fender custom shop make (1516 89) it has the same electronics as a prefender, but i love it, sounds great for everything, you can get a real close MM sound out of it, but no cigar, but it does have its own life, it did take a little getting used to having two pups and the lack of pick guard closing the distance it did take a little getting used to but was worth it (used to own an ibanez atk) and really, i cant tell which neck i like best, MM or kubicki, string extension is a godsend, dont have to detune at all :D , well all i can say is ill be getting another before a MM......

LONG LIVE THE 80's...lol
  10. BTW check out the kubicki website in the sounds section, 10 clips of vail mucking around on one, either that or just listen to the older stu hamm cds or satch and vai albums with stu on them
  11. Thanks alot for the help people, hopefully should be goin to try the Kubicki next week, but there isnt a stingray in the same shop(damn it).
    decisions decisions. i should be announcing my love for my new stingray or kubicki in the next month, but which one i dont know,
    please keep the opinions comin
    (and keep on rockin)
  12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Got to this thread a bit late. I have 2 '90 Ex-Factors. One (black) was made just at the transition to the Custom Shop with a regular Kubicki pre (and later refurbished by Phil), the other (red) has the CS logo and a Fender pre. They both play and sound great, though (naturally) the red doesn't have the extra varitone sounds. They are light and resonant and the 32" scale suits me well. Since I don't slap I have them both strung with flats and they just sound huge. :D
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I like em... Wouldn't mind having a fretless 5er to knock around with.
  14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    for me the kubicki is a stingray on stereoids. there my favourite bass ive ever played. Slap is killer on a kubicki not to mention tap, which is also insanly easy. get a kubicki would be my opinion but what evers best for you my friend
  15. plus on the kubicki you have the 18v preamp, which gives ya that bit more volume, and the preamp is designed to give you 1000 hours use from the two batterys
  16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i did not know that. i new the second bat. was for my out put but didnt know they last that long. sweet. my bass teach ha a kubicki, older one with only one bat. and hes always complaining about that hehe. :smug: