kubicki basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, May 17, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have or have played one? What do they sound like? What do they run, price wise? Just curious
  2. A friend of mine has a pre-Fender Kubicki Factor that is an incredible player. I mean, just super smooth. Sounds awesome, too. It inspired me to get one of my own about 8 years ago, but it wasn't the same. I had a real hard time changing strings.. you have to wind them on at the bridge, and I just could never get it.
    I'm not sure what the more recent ones are like.
    The drop-tuning lever on the E string, with the two extra frets, is pretty ingenious.
    Here's the Web site..
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A little clacky, IMO, and very modern, neither P nor J; clear and bright, rather than deep and thick. The Fender-era ones run about $800 used. The new ones are made to order and are $2000+.
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I own an older Kubiki Ex-Factor bass and love it. I bought it new back in 90. There is a decal on the back of the headstock which indicates it was made by the USA Fender Custom Shop followed by some numbers which I believe is the serial # and date the bass was made. A few years later I had the bass appraised for insurance and was told by several different places that it was worth more than when I had bought it, because it was made by the FCS. Great elect. Great feel and is comfortable to play. Personally I love the tone of the bass, especially for pop & slap. I believe Stu Hamm played a Kubiki on his first couple of albums, great stuff. The bass looks great, unique and elegant, but not over-the-top.

Thanks for the web site.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just a little add-in on ergonomics.
    I have this shoulder problem, which more or less prohibits me from playing ordinary basses. I sling a strap over my right shoulder on my basss.
    Anyway, the Factor....it's heavy. I had to try it with ordinary strap, as it was in a shop. OK, I did.

The Kubicki Factor is the absolutely best bass I have ever touched (this far), when it comes to ergonomics! Perfect balance, good posture, easy reach and no stress on my sour left shoulder (with a soft 2.5" strap).

Then there is sound, on which we all have different views - and the price, that is not sound....
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Another ergonomic bonus: the A, D and G strings have a scale length of 32".