Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kubicki... Enlighten me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Jun 25, 2001.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    We just got a Kubicki Factor bass used at Guitar Center. It's cream colored with a Fender sticker on the back of the headstock. The neck is super laminated. It has the drop D feature and looks cool.

I am a dude who digs weird stuff, yet knows little about the 80's basses (Steinberger, Kubicki). I want this bass for looks and originality alone. My question to Kubicki buffs: Is this bass something that may be considered a wise investment or am I stepping into a minefield? Forget tone, forget personal opinions on appearance.

Also, are these incredibly valuable instruments? Slightly? Worthless? What should one expect to pay?

Big Red

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought my Kubiki back in 90", It also has the Fender Custom Shop sticker on the back of the headstock. For a short period of time Philip Kubiki had these basses made by Fender.
    Personal experience: I bought my Kubiki new for $1500. A few years later I had the bass appraised at 3 seperate music stores and all 3 of them told me that at that time the value was now at least $2000+ due to the fact that it was made by Fender and in good condition.
    I don't know if this is the case today. I love the bass and have no intentions of ever selling it.
    I recently e-mailed Philip Kubiki about the serial # on my bass and he told me that Fender made his basses from 88" to 91", serial #'s from 1287 to 3050. My serial # is 2237.
    In my opinion it is a great, unique and versitlie bass.
    I hope this info helps you out.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Wow... That was not a response I was expecting. I figured that Fender-made Kubickis would bue like Gibson-made Tobias and be considered a lesser instrument. I guess Phil is still making basses that go for $2250 list, so maybe that is another reason.

I appreciate your help very much.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The used Fender-era ones sell on ebay for around $800. A lot of them seem to have noticeable cosmetic imperfections, ie. big paint cracks or chips. There's a mint condition pre-Fender one at Bass Central that's asking $1500. My conclusion: neither an incredible value or collector's piece. It'll depreciate over time.

5. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I have to disagree with Christopher on his feeling that Kubicki's will depreciate with time. Even the Fender/Kubicki's were generally made better than MIA Jazz's or Precisions. You have a bass that plays like a dream, has a cool look, is relatively scarce, sounds great, and has a 32" scale w/a drop D tuner which converts the E string to a 36" scale. Why would you think this bass would depreciate any more than any other bass? On the contrary, I think as more and more bass players become aware of just how great an instrument the Ex-Factor is, the prices will go up, especially for those made by Fender because they will be more affordable.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Generally the Ex-Factors made by Kubicki are more valued than the Fender ones. The Kubicki's have a 5 way knob that lets you select between different passive and active modes and standby, while the Fender made ones have a 4 way knob.

As for prices, I've seen Fender made Ex-Factors going for 100000 yen in Tokyo, which is about $800. One had scratchy pots and another had a whole lot of paint worn off from a belt buckle. I've yet to find a Kubicki made Ex-Factor for sale in Japan, probably because anyone who has one doesn't want to let go of it.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    This one does have some paint chips and a weird look to the paint. It has a 5 way knob. I pretty much figure that almost anything will depreciate, but some items slower than others. You know, like you can buy a used Stingray for about $750 to $900 and sell it in a year for almost the same.