1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kubicki Ex-Factor replacement parts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hobman123, Sep 26, 2013.

1. hobman123

hobman123

Sep 26, 2013
    I'm looking for any help on buying replacement Kubicki Ex-factor parts, in particular the bridge posts.

For some unknown reason three of the bridge posts won't turn in the retainers, meaning I can only adjust the action on one string now. The others only go so far down then wedge themselves and don't go any lower. They can only then be taken out with a pair of pliers (not good).

I've tried cleaning them, swapping them around, WD40 etc but to no avail.

Is there anyone who could suggest where I could get new posts, or retainers, where I can get them fixed, or even a replacement bridge.... As you can see it's getting a bit desperate as this bass is unusable at the moment.

Since the very sad death of Phil Kubicki earlier this year, it seems like this may prove difficult.

Apologies if you have already read this as I've posted it on basschat as well.

Any help please. Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Been a while since I've owned a Kubicki but I remember the hardware layout. First thing I would do is remove each saddle with either a crescent or well-fitting open-end wrench, not pliers. Keep in mind that the saddles are steel and the bridge is (IIRC) aluminum. Inspect the threads on both...you may want to pull out your T&D set and run the threads to check for burrs and such. If your particularly brave, the entire bridge assembly can be removed, as well. The objective is to make sure each saddle has unobstructed full "travel". If this is not the case due to damage or bottoming-out, you can always insert a neck pocket shim to compensate for the saddles' limitations. Edit: I do remember that each saddle block has a PH locking mechanism (maybe left handed?) which can be loosened which may allow the block to be removed without significantly dismantling the entire turner / bridge. The block, itself, is what is threaded.

Riis

3. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    I had a similar problem with the transtrem on my Steiny and after refusing to spend any more time or money I simply paid a guy at a macine shop to make me the parts from steel and even had them plated.

And the end of the day the guy charged me 20 bucks for material and I bought him a case of beer. He actually said he thought it was a cool project and didnt want any money for it.

He even matched the set screws on the new saddles to the old ones without asking me.

If you know anyone who has access to a machine shop this is the best way.

4. hobman123

hobman123

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks guys. I'll explore both avenues. It's a waste that such a great bass is sitting gathering dust because of this problem.
    Still asking the same Q though, does anyone know of anywhere where I can get these spare parts in case I don't have any success?
    Cheers again, John

5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
  6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Subscribed

7. hobman123

hobman123

Sep 26, 2013
    I did contact Mike. He sent me a very detailed email telling me how to fix this problem. An adjustable spanner, a shim and an hour out of my day and hey presto...fixed!!
    Cheers guys!
    That's what forums like this are for. Great support from fellow bass players. Couldn't be happier

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Details, man, details! What was the procedure? Glad to hear you're back up and operational.

Riis