Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kubicki Ex-Factor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Dec 30, 2004.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    My dad had one but it broke a long time ago, but he's sending it out to get it fixed and restored...then hopefully he's giving it to me! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Sorry, I'm just really excited about it. The reason I made this thread though was that I was wondering if any of you fellow bassists out there have an Ex-Factor? What's your view on it? :bassist:

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Where's heath when you need him? :bag:

lyle has one...

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Lucky you.
    Enjoy your excitement. I've got one and I think it's a fine instrument, one of the best bolt on's I've ever played. Good flexible instrument, leaning more towards the 'modern' sort of tones, great for slap too and mine has a really low action. The only things I really don't like about mine are the lack of an easy access battery box and I'm not totally keen on the shape, but it's still better than a generic P/J clone.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought mine new back in 91', still have, still kicks @ss
    My daughter wants mine too, but not until I'm dead.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bought my first one new back in '86, several more after that. Great basses, very fast necks.

Unfortunately they don't make 5 stringers with a string spacing that is acceptible to me. But the four's are great - the pre-Fender ones, that is.

6. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    How can I tell if it's a prefender or not?

7. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I'm just waiting for the patent to expire, so another company can put the drop-D capo on a somewhat cheaper instrument.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've seen the bridge patents. Is the headstock or the clip device patented too?

9. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Yes! A Kubicki post! You're gonna love this bass! Personally, I was looking for a bass that was unlike anything else on the market and I found it in the Ex-Factor. You can literally make it sound like almost any bass you want. It won't recreate my Stingray, but who cares. I've got a Stingray if I'm ever looking for that tone. You can solo the neck pickup and it sounds just like a P-Bass and it plays better than any P-Bass I've ever played, IMHO. Soloing the bridge pickup brings instant Jaco tone. Seriously. With the blend knob in the center, it's the EXACT slapping tone I hear in my head. Plus you have the choice of running the electronics active or passive. I can seriously go from Victor to Jaco by turning two knobs.

Because of the bridge tuner, this thing balances like no other. But don't be afraid. It's not "headless". There's still plenty of room to keep you from falling off of the cliff. You'll also spend less time holding the neck up and more time fretting the notes. You'll see what I mean when you play it. And the D-clamp is more useful than I thought it would be. I remember thinking that I would only use it for kind of a novelty thing, but I actually use it in three of my bands songs. You'll love having it. And if your guitarists ever have to tune to drop-D, while they're tuning you can just say, "Hey guys! Let me just flip this switch and... Oh. I'm already there." And the real plus is that there's no mental transposition because all of the notes are still in the same place. Smart.

As far as being able to tell whether it's pre-Fender or not, here's the scoop: They started "Fender production" at serial number 1500 in 1989. After that, the first 300 were made with all Kubicki-made parts and only assembled at the Fender factory. After that, everything was made (or so I assume) by Fender. Most of the Fender instruments have a "Custom Shop" logo on the back of the neck. I'm not sure when Fender stopped production, but I know that Phil is back to making the greatest basses in the world, IMHO. When you call the number on the website, he answers the phone. Awesome guy. I've talked him multiple times and he'll seriously talk to you for an hour or two if you've got a lot of questions.

Sadly, the only Kubicki I could find was a Fender one (don't kill me), but I'm saving for a real custom Kubicki. I asked Phil if he makes basses to order and he said yes, so the sky's the limit for me, so to speak. These are the best basses out there, in my humble opinion, and I could talk about them for days. All in all, I was just looking for a bass that made sense to me in every way and the Kubicki hits the nail on the head. This is the last bass I'll ever need (remember, I said NEED not WANT :smug: ).

By the way, what color is it?

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1

I love mine and I'm sure you'll love yours. Pic in signiture.

11. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Hey thanks for the info, man. I'll go check if it's a pre fender or not...also, it's just a nice, glossy black. I think it suits the Kubicki best IMO, but a lot of the colors I saw on the site were really nice.

For some reason, asthetically(sp?)wise, I think the back of the neck looks really nice. hahah

12. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Speaking of colors, Kubicki has had some weird ones in the past. They even made 10 in Salmon Pink, if you can believe that!

But yeah, black is classic. I assume the bass is being sent to Phil Kubicki for the restoration, and if it is, good choice. People say they come back looking (to some extent) brand new. I'm going send mine to him once I get the money.

Tell us what you think of the bass when you get it.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You know, way back when, when I was starting on bass and knew very little about it, I went shopping a few times on 48th Street, Manhattan. The only time I was ever simply floored with the tone of an instrument was by an Ex-Factor. It was just the most solid, forceful thing I had ever heard. To this day, over twenty years later, I remember it- black Ex-Factor into a Seymour Duncan Convertible amp, and a Bag End 15" or 18" and some 2x10 with white cones.

14. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That reminds me of a story my bass teacher told me about a guy he knew. My teacher had a friend who SWORE by the Fender Jazz Bass. He then tried an Ex-Factor when they first came out and was floored by the tone. He didn't want to give up the feel of his jazz bass though, so he bought a jazz bass and an Ex-Factor that day, routed out the jazz bass body a little bit, and put the Ex-Factor electronics in it. The last time my teacher talked to him, this was still his main bass. Of course, this kind of thing doesn't really surprize me because Phil Kubicki used to work in Fender's R&D department. I suppose it was fate, in a way. And we'd like think this was all due to coincidence... (cue spooky music) :eek: :D

15. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I have a Kubicki (FCS, but modded with original pre; now modded with EMG's), and it is UNDENIABLY the best bass I have ever owned. I would love to get a new one, but am too strapped for cash (3 kids and wife do that to you...)

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Exactly what does that mean to someone who has no clue about what other basses you've owned? So let's see, it's better than that Rogue you had, and it's a thousand times better than that old Wish, and it certainly stomps the crap out of the MusicVox. C'mon ... give us some metrics here. And that goes for the rest of you who use that "best bass I ever owned/played" thing.

17. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's why I'm starting to save for one now. It's gonna take some time, but after that I'll literally be set for the rest of my life. It's that awesome. :bassist:

18. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    To answer Munji, I'll say this: The only other nice bass I've owned (and still own) is a Stingray. And this isn't the last bass I'm going to buy. I'm a logical, common sense kind of guy and the Ex-Factor just makes sense to me right now.

I remember back when I played the Stingray and I was amazed at how every other bass I played seemed so neck heavy compared to it. But after playing the Ex-Factor, the Stingray just seems kinda outdated. Even it seems neck heavy.

I'm only 17 and live in a (musically) small town, so I'm not going to play/own any of the really expensive boutique basses for a long time. I got the Ex-Factor used off of eBay. Everyday that I browse through TB, I find another make of custom bass that is just a modern work of art. Truly stunning. This is what the Kubicki is to me. Plus, I've had to save (or sell other equipment) to afford every piece of gear I own. I feel kind of proud that I've found the bass that fits me perfectly without any aid from other people, when most kids my age are begging their parents for another $200 so they can put another subwoofer in their car.

I simply love this bass and want to inform everyone that, while the styling might not be for everyone, they're worth at least trying.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't have a Kubicki. But I've gear-lusted for one many times. I got a chance to record with one back in the late eighties. That bass had the best straight into the board tone I have ever heard. The short scale gets a little weird, going back and forth to my fretless Jazz, but Oh man, that tone oooooooooooooooooooooo.

I saw a Ex-factor-like bass at a guitar show a couple of years ago. I don't think I ever got a response as to what it was. It was the same shape, same hardware, possibly same electronics...all for cheap. It looked like an Ex-factor that had not been properly cared for. But it said something besides 'Kubicki' on the body. I'm guessing it was an attempted budget line a la' the Skyline series, but I don't know how well it was made originally, because it was tired. So what was it?