1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kubicki Factor Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 57pbass, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I restrung both and gave them the once over...really great basses. Black is from 86 and the white is from 88.. I sent the X Factor to Phil a few years ago and he gave it a once over... 10357798_10207515311494679_392837471586890349_o.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. What a pair! Very nice.

postalflunkie likes this.
  3. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Nice! Being a John Taylor fan I have a black Ex Factor but I'd love to add a white one!

Question though... maybe it's just the picture but the D and G strings on the Ex looked "squished" at the nut... is the G in the nut groove?

eottjake likes this.
  4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those look awesome, love the white one.
    Is the scale length different between the regular Factor and Ex models?

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Always loved the ex-factor. Brilliant design. Would be on my GAS list if not for the active electronics.

6. Nice - I'm jealous of your Kubickis! Love the work Phil did @ Fender and on his namesake guitars & basses. I hope to acquire an Factor at some point. I have two of his Strat-style guitars from the early eighties in my collection at this point.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Reverb.com has one listed out of Russia for about 1900.00 US.

8. I used to have a Factor bass. Nice bass. My only gripe was that the Fender/Kubicki preamp was a little hard to tame at times.

9. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    Lovely. I believe I've had the honor of playing the white one. :cool::D It's terrific. I've played two Kubickis in my lifetime, and thought both were great.

Good for you for giving them some recent and certainly well-deserved attention. :thumbsup:

Wally Malone likes this.
  10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    We have played a bunch of times with a band out of Chicago and their bass player swears by his XFactor. I played it in the green room a couple of times. Horrible. Desperate need of a set up and some strings. Could have run drum sticks under the strings the action was so high. Not a judgment on the basses themselves, just his. That Low D fret always intrigued me though. Oh, I think his in an 86 as well, but it is red

11. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a powder blue one as one of my main players. The Kubicki circuit just gave up recently so I'm looking into options to keep it going. Beautiful design, Phil was a genius, and more so a gentleman!

12. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Send it to Mike Haney @ Kubicki. He's another genius.

13. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    I've emailed him twice, with no reply as of yet.

14. 57pbass

I shall take a look at this...

15. 57pbass

Hi Will, It's been a long time. Hope you're doing well. I sent these pix to Wally as well... Dan

Sweet Willie likes this.
  16. 57pbass

They necks are very easy to adjust..some people like their action high..I don't and keep it set as low as possible without buzz...

iriegnome likes this.
  17. 57pbass

Some additional shots... DSC_1728.JPG DSC_1732.

Attached Files:

18. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Willie, was the other one you played by chance mine?

Wally

Sweet Willie and 57pbass like this.
  19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A Kubicki Ex-Factor (blk one) is 32" scale and the non-Ex (wht one) is 34" scale, as are Key Factors.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Caca de Kick likes this.
  20. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I owned both the 18v and 9v (Fender/Kubicki) versions of his pre and prefer the 9v. I only use the 2 active settings, mostly the 1st click (boost) and adjust amp setting to that. The click from active to passive (click 3) on both is a big volume drop or gain (bigger on the 18v version) which you needed to be careful if you were in passive at volume switching to active - I think there's a warning about this in his manual. I have an L-2000 which has a passive switch and the volume is more or less consistent switching to active. It's the only aspect of his bass I wish was more like the G&L, otherwise it's a modern classic both in looks and sound. Nothing sounds like a Kubicki Factor.

57pbass likes this.