Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kubicki love...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kamelion, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    Been lurking here for a while, but had to get on board and post...

Just got my Kubicki Ex-Factor 4 back from Phil Kubicki - he restored it and repaired a few old war injuries it had suffered through the years. I just wanted to give a long, low bow to the man and his excellence. Not only was he a real gent to deal with, but the bass plays like never before. The neck is smooth like ice and the intonation is just perfect. Who would have thought that you could improve on perfection? The man is a star - can't recommend him higher.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Phil is one of the good guys, for sure :D

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It's not green and previously owned by someone famous I hope...

:bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Since many TB'ers are pretty young why don't you post a pic so they may behold the Modern Classic......and I just really want to see it!!!

5. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    It's charcoal, and I was never really that famous ;)...

Attached Files:

6. ahahaha

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, thanks for the pic!! The shape reminds me alot of my Dingwall, the basses actual feel quite similar in balance and feel against your body, very luscious!!

8. Kamelion

Kamelion

Jun 6, 2005
    Cambourne, UK
    You're welcome :). I've never played a Dingwall, but those are some sweet-looking basses. Gotta love those rakish angles.

9. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I love the drop D thingy on the factors.

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Beautifull bass man. I'm glad to see more kubicki players here. :bassist:

11. I absolutely loved my old '85 Kubicki (as well as the newer fretless and BEAD-tuned ones I had), as it just felt right and played right. I ended up selling them once I decided to go "in a different direction".

Now, funny that Dingwall should be brought up. I had the pleasure of trying one out last week at Bass NW, and immediately thought of the Kubicki, too. I absolutely loved the fanned frets. Now, wouldn't it be cool to have a fanned fret Kubicki? Oh Phil....

12. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    I've been playing on only Kubicki's for 16 years and have always loved them. Too many superlatives I would say. Though I've made the plunge by picking up a Dingwall ABI and its been the first bass to suplant my Kubicki's. Just a fantastic bass and Sheldon was great in delivering the bass just in time before going into the studio. I miss the 32" scale but since I play a four string BEAD tuning there is no comparison.

13. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Mmm, Kubicki. I bought an Ex-Factor late last year off of eBay and shortly after ended up selling all of my other basses because I knew I wouldn't play them. I was right, though. I really don't miss my other basses at all. I called Phil recently and he said that he might not be building custom basses for much longer (due to the simple fact that he's getting old), so if you want one, you had better get in touch with him soon. By the time everything's said and done, I hope to have at least two custom basses made by Phil for me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's not going to retire within the next couple of years.

14. IIRC Sheldon Dingwall mentioned a few years back that he was inspired by the shape of the kubickis and I think thats where sheldons interpertation of his Voodoo bass body were derived. So it makes sense that you would think Dingwall when you see Kubicki

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    what ever happened to him?

16. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    That will be a sad day when Phil hangs it up... He's been great the coupld of times I've had to get a part or two. Even had the spring on the dtuner break some how last year and he just told me to send the neck to him and he'd fix it for free which he did. Great guy. I'd love to get my old '89 recondishioned by him so I better think sooner rather than later...

17. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I noticed this too, but when I asked Sheldon, he said the Zeta Prizm was most responsible for the shape. If you do a search here on TB I'll bet you can find his post.

BTW, I was strongly considering a Kubicki but due to my current need for a good B string, the X-Factor was no longer an option. One will always be on the GAS list, however.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a pre-fender 1986 Kubicki ex-Factor, and a Fender-era one. Two enterly different instruments, though they looked identical (other than color, of course). I stopped playing them when I switched to 5 string and 35" scale. The 32" scale didn't work for me when I would occassionally pull them out of the closet, but I must tell you - the ergonomics of the Kubicki Factor were the best, most comfortable, balanced, etc. etc. of any bass I ever touched, bar none.

I really wish he would have made the Factor in a WIDE 5 string, 34" scale . . . with the tuners on the body . . . I'd still be playing Kubicki if he did. The "key factors" were close, but the string spacing on the 5 was way, way too tight. Great bodies and electronics, though!

19. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've been thinking about having mine refurbished by Phil,
    I guess I better hurry. I really wouldn't want anybody else to mess with it.

20. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    Kubickis - the best!!! I can't imagine playing a different bass now - period!