Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KUBICKI PLAYERS UNITE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jan 3, 2004.

1. C'mon ppl...SHOW ME THE KUBICKI...sorry for the cheesyness but well....show that beautiful bass of yours...heres gumby

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is my '90 ExFactor that's been refurbished by Phil. I have another red '90 ExFactor from the Fender Custom Shop with the Fender pre. Not as many sounds but still sounds great.

3. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had a Kubicki fretless back in the 90's. It looked cool.

I wonder what the ratio of "current kubicki owners" is to "past kubicki owners" ..

- Cowboy

4. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    I don't know about that, but I'd gladly own one :cool:

5. I had to dig through the backups, but found these three that I sold a few years ago...

[​IMG]

X-Factor, Factor (34" with no drop-D), X-Factor fretless

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Never owned one, but the new exotic-wood factors on his website look pretty fab. If I were after a 4, I'd look closely at em.

7. Why would you wanna get rid of one of these....this is gonna freak some ppl out...but i prefer one of these over an alembic...SHOCK HORROR...

8. I do miss the powder blue X... pre-Fender production and nice light weight.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Very Leduc looking...

Anybody got pix of the new series of them? Ya know, the multi-lam looking things.

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Did, thx...

[​IMG]

I'll take this one as a piccolo bass...

12. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I love my 88 xfactor - just gotta save for the 5.

13. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I remember playing one in a store in Austin many years ago, played like butter. If I had the money then I would have bought it immediately.

I read somewhere that the same person who designed the Factor body style is also the same person who designed the Rickenbacker 4000-series "cresting wave" body style. Truth or myth? I can see the similarities.

14. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  15. i dont think that phil (kubicki) created the rick style as he was a luther for fender for many years (30 - 40) there abouts...he was involved in creating a fender headless bass in the late 60's tho...only one prototype was ever made....he was in the fender r & d for a while then in the 2nd half of the 80's he quit and started to make the factors and in 89 fender bought him out...he's back on his own again now...thank god

16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's mine, it's a 1990 Fender Custom Shop bass.
    I bought it new back in 1990 and still have it. I love this bass.

The story I heard was he asked Fender to make them until he could get up and running for production.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    bassclef112,

How was the refurbish by Phil? I have been thinking of sending by Kubicki to him for the refurb.

Any info would be helpfull.

18. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

The refurb makes your bass look and feel like new again. For $395 Phil rebuilt my bridge, refretted (since made fretless, MWAH!) and refinished my neck, checked the electronics, and buffed out the body.
    Very nice man who does excellent work. I live in Santa Barbara, and see him quite often.
    Do your baby a favor and send her to the master. She deserves it and so do you.
    PEACE!!!!!, Johno!

19. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for the info JahKnow.

I've planned on it for awhile, but haven't got to it.

20. nice finish by-tor...i would love to have a mahogany body with zebrawood top ex factor....god damn that would be nice
    c:\WINME\desktop\kubicki 1.jpg[IMG]
    mine again...IM IN LOVE :p