Kubicki Vs. Alembic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 3, 2004.

1. alrighty, ive decided and been advised that i should put my kubicki away and keep it for minimal use like recording n stuff and buy another bass to use for my main and i cant decide between an alembic or another kubicki, the purchase is a while away yet (plus ryanhelms will be making me a bass this year too :D ) but shortly when dnburgess get this epic in that ive been waiting for the last few months ill get to try a few alembo's....its a toss up between an epic, a small body of some sort or an essence..plus dnburges s has a mark king standard on hand which could possibly steal me.......
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    my votes the epic....i love em....
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Whyever put your Kubicki away? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Really a bad comparision, the instruments are totally different.

I would play both and decide because I have heard people who hate both of those instruments, yet many love each of them. When the price tag is as high as either of those instruments, make sure you play them before commiting.
  5. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I suppose you know this already, but while epics are quite cheap, "a small body of some sort" is not. also, the epic has got about the simplest electronics package (bass + treble, no filter, no q switches), which makes it unusual (non-alembic-like, in a way).

6. because its already 15 years old and was stuart hamms, plus im the only person in this town that owns one, really rare over here
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    <b>+ 1!!!</b>
    I own a Kubicki X and a pair of small body Alembics, and they're very different sounding and playing. You <b>MUST</b> play them both side by side for several hours at least before you decide to blow the money on a new Alembic if for no other reason than the small bodies hang oddly on your body when standing and a lot of people don't like it. With a second hand one the risk isn't so bad if you get it at as good price as you could always resell it later.

As for secreting the Kubicki away, pish!. Play the bugger as you seem to love it so much, take care of it, and at most it'll need servicing every so often and eventually a refret, most of which shouldn't be hard to get done locally. I wouldn't play it with a band on a tight pub stage like you find down here, but that's why you buy a decent cheap second hand bass or a new Essex/SX.

Alembics are great, but they're not magic and the electronics in them very overrated IMO. What seems like a bad case of GAS now, might be a disappointing fart after you own one for a while. Or you might love it.
    Play a few, they're all very different.
  8. im organising, or have been for ages, organising a day down sydney to meet up with dnburgess www.greensquare.net shameless plug....to go down to sydney when he gets his new shipment in, a 2nd hand epic plus a few rouges, plus i also get to try his series 1 small body and a mark king standard, and ill be taking my kubicki too, he wants to try it as well, before he got onto alembic's the kubicki's were what he was contemplating, but i also get to try acme cabs at the same time :D
  9. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    I have two Alembic's, an Epic, and a Series 1 and Alembic's have a sound of their own, thats not to say that other basses don't sound good, they do. I also have a Steinberger that I love, if you can get into an Epic for around $1000 or less you will not be sorry, I use my Epic for most of my live work. it rocks :bassist:

David T
  10. I've owned 11 Alembics through the years. Personally, (and Mica Wickersham would kill me if she heard me say this...) I really don't care for any models under the Signature basses. The Europa is essentially a Distillate of many years back...shoulda kept that 32" scale model in the lineup. But for the seriously serious; the Series I and II's are still the finest (sounding), incredibly powerful and complex instruments available. Once you master (if that's ultimately possible) the tone controls...you realize there's no lack of genious in their engineering. Ron Wickersham is a very interesting man. My biggest complaint...generally, heavy and a bit ungangly slung around you (especially for 3 or 4 long sets!)