kubicki vs fender??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Nov 11, 2003.

1. g'day everyone,
    i just lay-byd a kubicki ex factor, by the way was stu hamms :D , and i was looking at reviews (like i needed to, this is the perfect bass) and i read people saying that theirs was pre fender and others saying that thiers was a fender custom shop one...what the hell..can someone explain this to me please.
    by the way im payin 2 grand aussie for this bass and its a pretty pearl blue and signed by stu.

im so happy i cant stop doin a happy dance
  2. I haven't a clue what you mean by predated Fender?:confused:

Check out..... http://www.kubicki.com/

Treena's happy dance!
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    IIRC... Kubicki basses were originally produced by Philip Kubicki, then sometime in the late 80's or early 90's Fender was licensed to make them but really didn't own them. I believe that they were made in Fender's custom shop. Now Philip Kubicki produces them once again.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Right you are. After several years of production in the 80's by Phil Kubicki himself, he licensed Fender to produce them. As usual with these kinds of deals, Fender mucked up the bass, quality was down and they changed the preamp design for the worse. When the contract expired, Phil Kubicki resumed production and the quality returned.

I owned both at pre-Fender and a Fender model. There was no comparison. If you get one, make sure it was pre-Fender, unless you are looking for a bargain and not quality.

5. Fender blew it again.:meh:

6. Exactly the same experience here. Also IME the Fender was considerably heavier than the pre-Fender model.
  7. mine was made in 89 according to the serial number..is that a pre fender...i hope it is...it sucks that fender bought swr i was goin to but a triad..but i think ill go eden now
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I Kubicki back in business? I was looking around for one a few years back and was told his factory was destroyed in a fire. Was that true?

BTW, nice Bass Heath. They're not common over here.
  9. Are you sure Phil Kubicki ever built anything? I know Godin produced parts for him some time ago. I'll get back when I have more details.
  10. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    i've heard a kubicki .
    it was fantastic . i dun think it would sound like any fender i know .
  11. its the best sounding bass i've heard..2 active modes and 3 passive..ill post a pic as soon as i get one..the colors faded a little bit so its more a metallic green/blue..this is what it was origionally.

ps...its so good im selling my atk300..so if anybodys interested make me an offer..
  12. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a Fender Custom Shop Kubicki and I have never had any problems with it.
    I love this bass. Sound, feel, everything. BTW, bought this bass new back in 90'

Also congrats on yours Heath_the_great.

13. I checked this out and Godin produced bodies for Kubicki during 2 or 3 years, approximately from 1995 till 1998.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Best example of a true Kubicki recorded sound I've heard is John Taylor playing on the "PowerStation" CD. "Some Like it Hot" and "Bang a Gong", good examples of what a Kubicki can do, and the bass is pretty up front in the mix and easy to hear.

. . . Of course, Tony Thompson's heavy kick drum is VERY complimentary . . .
  15. True enough. For WAY up front Kubicki sound, either "Radio Free Albemuth" or "Kings of Sleep" by Stu Hamm aren't too bad either.