Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kubicki

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Kubicki's are soooo good :smug: ...whats your thoughts :D

2. Ahhhh yes....

Brings back memories of John Taylor playing one in "The Power Station" with Andy Taylor on guitar, Robert Palmer on vox, and I wish I could remember the drummer's name... ??

Oh, and Vail Johnson (tours with Kenny G) plays the daylights out of a Kubicki. I think there are soundclips on the Kubicki website.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    vail posted here on tb briefly a while back.

what i was saying about my uncle's kubicki (the only lefty one ever made) was that since he played a lefty strung righty he was able to use the righty neck, he just had a lefty body. his extender was still on the e string. :hyper:

4. no mention of stu hamm :crying: ..considering i own one of stu's kubicki's, yes, yes i do :smug:
    [​IMG]

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd love to have a 5'er fretless!!

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Tony Thompson. ;)

7. these are the only 5's he makes......the key-factors
    [​IMG]
    i think im gonna get a fretless ex-factor 4 the same color as mine next....either that or a stingray....

but heres a prototype 5er factor....the chances of him making more of these are very very slim..as tooling cost heaps

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I played a black Kubicki at a store in Austin some 12 years ago, it was pretty sweet. I probably would've bought it then and there if I had the money on me. Nowadays the styling doesn't do much for me, but they play like buttah.

9. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    We've had discussions about the image of multistring basses and when not to bring them to an audition. What about headless instruments? Do they put off possible future collegues?

I have no rational argument against them - they're great for taking on airplanes I suppose - but I don't like their looks. They also give the -admittedly silly- feeling I might drop off at the end.

10. like a big stick of buttah

but they sound ever so sweet...my personal fav is the low boost active mode....then the flat passive..but the active mode is the best sound ive ever heard with the two pups centered...thats all i really play it though...ive played a jazz bass plus a few times at a store here...all black with fender-lace pups and the fenderised kubicki preamp..has a smaller neck than your average jazz too...just a widdle too small for me...but it is sweet souding bass.....$2000aus...same i paid for my ex-factor..if i was to buy it i would definately change the preamp to the proper kubicki one

11. well ive gotten nothing but compliments about the kubicki..and thats from people who play zon, have a musicman endorsement, a maton endorsement...ooohhh, BTW..Maton are making basses again..Woo Hoo...but you never feel like you're falling off the end

youve got so much room on the end of that thing
    [​IMG]

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Answering a couple of posts in one.

<b>Kubicki's are soooo good ...whats your thoughts </b>

I really like mine. Plays great, sounds great, looks great, and is, well...great. I wouldn't mind getting it refinished in black gloss though.

<b>We've had discussions about the image of multistring basses and when not to bring them to an audition. What about headless instruments? Do they put off possible future collegues?</b>

I turned up to a first rehearsal not too long back with my Status graphite headless, and had a lot of trouble from my potential new bandmates on the looks, but not from the sound of my axe. I was asked if I "was going to bring my Fender to the gig?" (I don't own one, 'cos I don't like them). For a lot of reasons, the gig never happened, partly because of my choice of bass and their prejudices about 'looks'.

<b>but I don't like their looks.</b>

I'm just the opposite on the looks, I think they look better than most basses with a big flipper hanging off the end of the neck.

<b>Maton are making basses again</b>

Excellent.

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Stupid, just stupid (your potential band mates, NOT you!). I don't care if a bass looks like a dog turd if it sounds great. Granted, I drool over basses like anyone, but in the end its about tone. Better off not hooking up with fools that can't see that.

I too like the look of Kubicki's. They're associated with the 80's but, except for the older models with flamboyant colors, most are really timeless.

14. im not exactly sure when they'll be released but when i hear things ill definately post..i played a maton fretless that was about 20years old i think and i loved it...set neck, ebony fingerboard badass2, dimarzio pj.....

but the new matons are gonna be around the $3000aus mark...and my mate as my local store has the contacts in maton and he's getting a fretless custom from maton for $3500, and i mean custom as he goes to the maton factory and sits there and designs it....he say's he's gonna try and get me the same deal if i want it..

but yes...excellent

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played a white Kubicki Factor the other day at an undisclosed guitar store in NJ and fell in love! I hardly noticed it was medium scale and the neck just felt right and whatnot! It was $723 and I would've walked out with the 2nd bass this week that I didn't need if I brought my credit card.

Good thing I didn't but I miss it...

16. heh heh...we have converted a bretherin :D ..i like the looks of white kubickis..heres one at bunnybass
    [​IMG]...mmmm..nice

17. BUMP - Like buttah

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Best iver played. And towards the weird looking headless thing, most headless like stienbergers, dont really do it for me.
    they have to have a little head, like kubickis or even jps 7 string headlesses look hot. i like the white one by the way. heres mine, on the right.

19. i love the body, kind of a futuristic jaguar thing imo, the neck is cool, but i still can't get over the head stock, i don't like it, but i suppose thats the best one for the detuning thing its got!

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *drooooool* I want one of these soooo bad now. What're the controls? Anyone got a clip, or songs that Stu used it to record with?