Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KUBICKI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drcor, Aug 14, 2005.

1. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    HI,
    It's Davide from Italy. Someone owns a Kubicki Factor?
    I would like to buy one but in Italy is very difficult to find out one to test. Some advices? Thank You

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Hi Davide,
    I've got one (FCS with earlier electronics and pickups), as do about a dozen other members here I can think of. What do you want to know about it?
    There's also a Kubicki group on Yahoo that can answer questions.

3. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    HI Dharmabass,
    Thanx for your reply.
    Not having the possibility to test one I'm wondering if Kubicki
    bass is a versatile bass...
    For example:
    Could you have a gig and pass from jamiroquai songs to Police
    songs and a standard jazz? (it's only an example)
    I visited the Phil Kubicki site and I know this bass costs 2800 dollars. It's a real price? (does kubicki value 2800 dollars?)
    Thanks Again

Davide

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I think so, for a lot of the music I do (no jazz). But the trouble is you might not find it to your liking in your situation. In my estimation they will perfom well doing most rock (classic to modern), blues, funk and MOR and it has a more than decent amount of tonal variations possible. Not sure about jazz as I don't play it, but I don't see why not. If you're after a specific sound, eg Thumb growl, it may not be able to produce it.
    See if you can find some Stu Hamm videos/DVD's from the era when he was playing one. that might give an answer to your questions.
    Again, I think so, but I bought mine used for about 1/4 that price. Secondhand they're much better value. Not sure I'd buy one new with exchange rates, shipping etc on top of the purchase price, but I still like mine better than almost all of the basses I've ever played. The 32" scale is an advantage to playability, the tuners are superb and reliable, the neck is fast and stable and I have no doubt that the build quality of the Phil-builts is excellent.

The current alder bodied units are undoubtedly a bit warmer than the soft maple one I have.

5. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Thank You very much Dharmabass!

The problem is that's very difficult to find a Kubicki secondhand... I don't know in USA...but in Italy:(..

Ciao

Davide

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Glad I've been some help, but whether you'll like it is impossible to say, and $2800+ is a big risk without having played one.
    BTW, I'm in Australia not the US, where Kubicki's are quite uncommon too. Have you tried the UK and Europe for a secondhand one? There must be some around. If you find a good one in the US, see if the seller will ship it neck off to save some money.

7. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    In europe and uk for the moment nothing....
    I'll do a check in london next week where i'm going to play
    at guitar x....
    Or I'll buy one new:)

8. My uncle used to have a Kubicki a looong time ago. And he plays ALOT of styles including jazz. I can ask him if it was a good bass for jazz for you. BTW, The Police rocks. :bassist:

9. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Thanx...
    Very Kind From You

Be with the Force: The Police :hyper:

10. WJF

WJF

Aug 1, 2005
    I had a Kubicki, before I traded it for a G&L. It was an excellent bass with many tonal possibilities, but had a distinctive sound. The playability was excellent, as well, whether you slap or use fingerstyle. It was a very comfortable bass to strap on, too. Hope you find one!

11. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    ok...Thanx a lot! :)

12. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    The kubicki's generally have a bright sound. It may or may not work for you - but I found that I could get a frightening range of sounds running it through my bass pod.

Yeah, it would be a tough call to cough up $2800 for a bass you haven't played yet.

You can check eBay - there's usually a kubicki or two up there.
    watch out for scammers though. You can ask the seller for the serial number and ask teh yahoo group about it. They can tell you if you should get it or not (ie, seller wanting $6k for a fender kubicki instead of the < $1000 it should go for, etc)

13. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Right...Thank You very much... :bassist:

14. rossfactor4

rossfactor4

Aug 7, 2005
    I also live in Australia and have a factor 4 and an ex factor, both post-fender (finished around #3050).
    Have been following the market pretty closely for the last year or so and reckon that a good to very good condition ex factor (non-fender) is worth up to US $1500.
    Both of mine are extremely well-made (by Phil himself quite possibly), have fantastic necks and are very comfortable. They do have a distinctive sound but will depend on which pre amp/amp combo and which of the active/passive settings.
    I'd say go for it.

Good luck

ROss

15. rossfactor4

rossfactor4

Aug 7, 2005
    I've also seen an ex factor online at the Bass Centre in London i think for a thousand pounds!!! Nice Bahama Green though and an old grey one in Japan for 160000 yen.
    Be patient and your Kubicki will come.

R

16. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    as a Kubicki owner, I know how long it can take - I waited about 3 years to find mine. I suggest looking on ebay, I've seen several on there..........

17. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Thanks to all of You Bass player!!!
    I'll do a check in London...

Thanks again and Have Fun :bassist:

18. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    heh
    i was waitin` somethin` like 12 years before i found mine ex-factor,i mean right ex-factor..from `86))

19. i had an ex-factor, fender custom shop one, 1516 06 89..great bass, very versatile just not the tone i was looking for, i ended up trading it for a KSD v70j 5 string...the jazz bass was more compliant to the tone i wanted

but kubickis, very comfy, very comfortable basses...i will definately be buying a factor somewhere in the future, just a different color to what i had :p

20. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Some cost more than $2800

[​IMG] [​IMG]