Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kubicki

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buckethdd, Mar 20, 2002.

1. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    I have become interested in these basses after hearing them played on a couple of recordings. I am specifically interested in the fretless models but any experience anyone has would be helpful. Kubicki basses are only sold direct so it is pretty much impossible to play one, unless you come across one used somewhere. I am also thinking about going for there 5 string model (newer) than the original version with the d-tuner. Anyway if anyone can shed any knowledge on these basses I would greatly appreciate it, maybe even post some sound samples if you own one. Thanks!!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    a good place to hear one of these in action is to listen to any of the Faith No More albums. They've had some lineup changes, but the same bassist, and he uses kubucki.
    IMO the D-tuner thing is useless. It looks cool, but in reality, it doesn't help with much. all of the fretted notes are the same, its an interesting concept but the novelty wears off fast.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I know the bass player from The Big Wu uses one. It's an older four with the detuner. You might want to check out one of their albums, preferable a live one (I think they're more of a 'live' band than a 'studio band').

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Stu Hamm used one on all his stuff before "Outbound". Supposedly Wooten used one on something.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And his sound was WAY BETTER back then...

6. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    ...these players are mostly known for slapping, which the Kubicki is known for (good slap tone). I am thinking more along the lines of a fretless. The album which I was referring to earlier is Focus by a band called Cynic. It is kind of progressive metal type music, the mix is excellent and the bass sound is incredible IMO. I have found out that the bass player (Sean Malone) used a fretless Kubicki. Is anyone familiar with this album? Or other albums that feature a fretless Kubicki. Again, thanks for the input. I knew Stu Hamm used them, but I didn't know about Wooten.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Actually Stu Hamm doesn't slap that much, but he does tap alot. I think he plays a kubicki on his first video. He plays alot of finger style and it sounds awesome! If they made a 6 string version of it, that wasn't painted I would probable have bought one.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stu Hamm also used a Kubicki fretless, at least on his first two albums IIRC.

I have that Cynic album, but I have to recheck if it's a Kubicki sound.

Vail Johnson (Kenny G, solo) is another Kubicki user.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sean Malone did play a Kubicki fretless on Focus. He also plays one on his solo CD, Cortlandt, and on the Gordian Knot (just one track) and Aghora (the whole thing) CDs.

He's using an Ibanez GW sig now, but I believe he said that all of this recordings to date (except the new GK which isn't out yet :) ) have been made with the Kubicki.

Sounds good. Don't know what his reasons for switching were.

10. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    I thought he used the Gary Willis on the Aghora disc and the first Gordian Knot. I actually like his tone best on Focus. He wasn't as high in the mix but he had a killer tone. For anyone who isn't familiar, Sean Malone is superb player and worth checking out.

Anyone own or have played a fretless Kubicki?? Opinions?

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And as far as the Faith No More bassist (Billy Gould) AFAIK, he was playing Arias and Zons.

Vail Johnson (who was a TB member a year or two ago) plays Kubickis with Kenny G.

12. Hi:
    AS far as i recall Stu hamm has used Kubickis until this deal w/ fender (the past three albums were recorded mainly w/ kubickis-the outbound album is mainly fenders). Also Stu slaps alot -see any of Joe satriani's videos or this G3 DVD. The fender urge bass (his personal bass), has a similar preamp to the kubicki w/ concentric pots, and a rotary 4-way switch w/ different preset boost levels.
    Another person who used Kubicki for his recordings is Vail johnson the bassist for Kenny G.

Kubickis show up all the time on EBAY (theres two on there now). They go for about $800-1500, depending on how well they have been treated. I'ver seen a few fretless ones as well, but they are much rarer. Most are late 80's or early 90's models.
    I believe new they cost around $2500-3000. Nice bass to play, cool tones, but very modern sounding.
    my opinion
    frank

13. Just curious...

I reckon that the fender custom shop model go cheaper then the real philip Kubicki one..

now I've tried a few of them, some kubicki, some fender custom shop, correct me if I am wrong, but I couldn't tell the difference.

Is the price difference because there is a real difference in Q'lity or just for the name's sake? :confused:

there is a black one (very clean) fender one around here where I live for 750 I think..

never seen a fretless one :confused: ;)

14. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    MY TWO CENTS:

I currently use a Kubicki as my main bass. It's a fretted one - Pre-fender - and it sounds pretty good. I would like to point out something - the extender key works a HELL of a lot better than any of the Hipsh*t keys or the Steinberger DB bridge for several reasons. First off, when you engage the extended fingerboard section, your 3rd fret g remains a 3rd fret g - it doesn't become a 3rd fret F. The only thing that changes is your open note, which is now a low D. I have found that to be a lot more convenient than having to rethink my entire fretboard every time I want to have a low D or Eb. Secondly, I'll put my 36" scale low D against any low D played on a 5 string - if you believe that a 35" scale makes a low note sound better, try a 36" scale to hear what I mean. Also, playability wise, due to the fact that my neck has over 20 laminations in it, I have the best of both worlds: A wood neck that is incredibly sturdy and not cold to the touch like graphite or metal. Anyways, that's all I gotta say.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I could be wrong about Aghora but that would be it - When Sean was selling his Kubicki he noted that it had been used on "every recording I've ever done, [including/except] the Aghora CD" (funny what details your brain remembers, and what it doesn't!). I'm pretty sure it was "including", though.

Anyway I think Cortlandt is the place to look for some sweet fretless playing - insane solos and great grooves.

16. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    yeah, I would love to get Cortlandt but I can't find it. I don't know where it's available. I've heard a little bit and it sounds pretty crazy (read - cool). Do you know where i can find it?

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Kubicki Factor is one of the absolutly best basses I ever touched!
    If you find one @$750, get it! If it is in good condition... To buy new - well, it's a great sum of money - that would make me (makes me!) rather,,,,cautious(?).
    Anyway, if you ever get in sight of one, make sure you try it!

19. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    geshel - thanks for the tip on the Cortlandt CD. I would never have thought to look for at the Stick website.

Suburban - I see them on ebay all the time, but rarely a fretless on (which is what I'm specifically looking for).

BTW - can someone tell me how to make my band's website in my signature into a link?

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to have two, a prefender and a fender custom shop model. The prefender ran rings around the fender model. I eventually had the frets professionally removed from the fender model.

All I can say is that if you want fretless, DON'T get the 32" scale model. Its too short to get a good fretless "mwah". The regular 34" Kubicki Factors without the drop-D clamp work much better for fretless.