Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by heath_the_great, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Just curious on what you guy's think of phil kubicki's basses..

not your average fenders considering he worked for fender for a long time...

here's mine

BTW..this was Stu Hamm's :D
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001

You probably meant to post this to the "Basses" forum, not "Ask A Luthier". Maybe a mod can move it for you. And while you're in the Basses forum, do a search there to find a recent thread where all the Kubicki owners recently posted all their comments already.

If you really did want the luthiers to comment on someone else's work, good luck. You may get a few positive comments, or not. Most of them are gentleman enough to say something nice, or not say anything at all.

PS Nice bass. I've always like Ex-Factors.
  3. i was hoping some luthiers to post thier opinions good or bad...

i was just wonder cos he seems to be the only one doin his things.

such as
    32piece maple neck
    maple body
    2 active modes and 3 passive
    extended fret board
    80:1 ratio tuning
    and so forth
  4. I don't think it's a good comparison to put the Kubicki's in the same pile as the one offs, or short run series by low volume builders. The comparison could be unfair to either side in different areas.

As for being a huge innovator, I would look at it like this:

I had a Teisco from the mid 60's that had at least that many layers and probably more. Very cool neck. Greg Curbow builds his Rockwood necks from mulitple layers of stabilized hardwood veneers. These necks are more stable, thinner, and easier to play than any I've seen

You might be right about a maple body on a production bass. However, any builder could and would do this for you. Even my first build was a solid AAAA flame maple Jazz.

I don't hear too much about Kubicki preamps when the top designs are discussed. But I'm sure that this could be and has been done before. Shoot, there's probably some versions out there that can be even more flexible.

Hardly an innovation.

This feature is pretty neat. Beats the weewaw out of other types of "fine tuning" systems with it's logical simplicity
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Just a few things I would add to Ham's comments:
    Rickenbacker 4001, 4003, and probably 4002 and 4000, Pedulla MVP and Buzz
    Since the tuning barrels are enormous, a high ratio like this is required in order to provide what is substantially the same movement per hand turn. IOW, large barrel/high reduction = smaller barrel/lower reduction.
    The high ratio does however potentially improve the chance of not backdriving the system, i.e. having the string tension move the tuner.
  6. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm sure it plays and tunes sweet and all.............

but i think it just looks stoopid
  7. With your business name prominently displayed and the fact that you're posting in the "luthiers" forum, I'm sure you could have some come up with something better to add to this discussion. I shouldn't have to remind you about professionalism.

In the future, if you can't, don't bother at all. ;)
  8. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    you are most certainly correct. My post was in no way "business"-like, and for that I am sorry. Tact is something i am trying dearly to learn, and in the future, I will refrain from any 'personal' comments/tastes. Thanks for the reality check.

9. saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    I must say you folks are quite respectful to each other on this forum. Some of the others I'm a member of..,, Oh boy.

I'm the proud new owner of a Kubicki and love the versatility, uniqueness & the look. Despite the designs age, I feel it's still an innovative, cutting edge instrument.
    Kubicki Fan likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I remember agonizing over having to choose between a Steinberger and a Kubicki when I decided I "needed" a headless in the mid-80's. The Kubicki was a couple hundred more at the time, so I bought the Steinberger and never regretted it, but always wanted a Kubicki too. The drop D device is brilliantly simple, and they are fantastic sounding basses with a very fast, stable neck. The barrel tuner design always seemed overly complex compared to the incredibly simple but effective in-line screw based tuners on the Steinberger. Both systems are superior to traditional post tuners IMO , because they don't introduce any twist into the string as they wind. The necks are two different approaches to the same problem of neck stability. The Kubicki necks are something like 30 layer laminates of wood, so it feels and sounds like a wood neck, but doesn't move much, if at all. The Steinberger is a solid mass of carbon graphite with a gelcoat finish, so some people don't like the feel of the neck. It is , however nearly impervious to ordinary temperature changes or humidity. I don't know much about the Fender era Kubicki,s, but the original 80's models were extremely well made and finished.
  11. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2014
    There isn't much difference. In my opinion, they play and sound the same. I have an 86 and an 89 and the only difference is the color.
  12. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Mostly true - only real difference is 9v vs 18v pre. I've owned both and prefer the FCS 9v. Sellers of 'real' Kubicki's slag the FCS version but this is only a lame attempt to get more money for them. From what I've read, Phil made all the necks, and the pu's were exactly the same. Bodies of some FCS were made in Japan to meet demand.

On a related note - Jazz Plus basses from the early 90's (when Phil's FCS Factors were produced) also sound like a Factor. (w/9v Kubicki/Fender pre)
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  13. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Both of mine are 18V. I have not listened to the 9V next to an 18V but thanks to what you said I would love to hear them side by side.

As far as looks goes, the exFactor is getting to be vintage, so the condition of the instrument may be a determinant between an 18v and a 9v.
  14. bassteacher99

bassteacher99 Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2012
    I like both 9 and 18v boards not a noticeable difference in first position next to mute just some different flavors imo but all good