Kudos to real Double Bassists!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by BassManJim, May 12, 2005.

1. This is just a quick note to all of you on the forum.

I have messed with an upright just a little bit in the past. Tonight, at practice (a little combo at the local Communuty College) the band director looks at me (an electric player) and says "I think this tune would sound better acoustically", breaks out the schools DB and says "Try it!". :eek:

Wow! It was really cool to play (attempt) in a real band setting. Fortunately I can get through the tune with a lot of open strings and whole notes! I managed to find some reference points on the neck, and just went for it. :cool:

So, I wanted to say how much I admire those who put in the obviously extensive practice and skill development that it requires to play this instrument properly. After three times through the tune, my left hand was killing me! :) Not to mention I got lost a few times due to the difference in playing position :smug: But overall it was a blast!

I've been seriously considering taking up DB and I think this might have been the "push" that I needed.

Rambling discourse ended.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are now hooked, my friend! I just started playing seriously a month and a half ago. I have had many flirtations with it, but never got one because I didn't think I'd find much work with it. Finally I decided who cares about how much work I can get...I'm getting one! I hope you don't wait as long as I did to take the plunge. Sounds like the bass you played had a set-up that was tough on your hands, but you can make them play almost as easy as electric bass, althought it will never be quite as easy. Good luck with it!
  3. Probably...... it is the school's bass, I don't have enough experience with DB to know what a good set up is, however if it were an electric, it would definately be described as a "beater".

But I am looking foreward to spending more time with it :D

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In the double bass world, basses like that are also called "beaters."
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I thought that was what we called drummers?
  6. If the thing has an adjustable bridge, try lowering it (don't forget to retune). It might make it a little easier.

I take it you're not using a bow?