Kudos to Rotosound!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I purchased two sets of Swing Bass 66's only to find that the A string in one was a clunker (or more technically, a buzzer). I e-mailed Rotosound in hopes of returning the culprit in exchange for another. Their response? "We put a new string in the mail for you today. Don't worry about sending the defective string or receipt. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Is that a class act or what?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotosound is a class act. I always dealt with Hammer, the US rep, but when I dropped by the Rotosound booth last month at NAMM, I was told he's gone back to England.. Coral is filling in while they find a replacment...Very nice lady.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's pretty cool! It's nice to see a manufacturer standing behind their products, especially in today's world. Most manufacturers will give dealers a "quality discount", in other words they assume that ten percent of their stuff is going to get damaged in shipping or something. But to do that directly for the consumer, is unusual. Keith Roscoe is like that, he's helped me "directly" on many occasions, and that's one of the things I really appreciate about him, and his company. Some other folks don't even have the time to talk to you. Their business seems to be running on the hairy edge of extinction, that way. :D
  4. D'addario is great in that way too. I got a set of Slowounds replaced once (without sending the defective set), and lately I got a Planet Waves cable replaced too.
  5. This is a double edged sword.

Threads on here deal with Roto's (apparent lack of) quality Control which spawns that very problem in the first place. However, they do act very graciously in that way when you contact them.

Until very recently I wouldn't have touched Rotosound with a very long pole. However, their RS 77s have made my USA DLX Jazz 5 sound absolutely fantastic.

6. vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Great to know if any of my Rotosound strings break! :)
    Not that they ever have. I have used Rotosounds swing bass 66 strings for about 6 years and I've never had any problems with them. Really great strings and great bright tones from them!
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Now if they could produce strings without a dull one every 2 packs maybe I'd buy from them.
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've been a Rotosound Dealer for 6 years and have had very few complaints from 100's and 100's of customers.

I guess I get the "good ones". :rolleyes:
  9. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I will have to say that I get alot of bad rotosound E strings.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I was the only one to meet this issue I'd question my own abilities but obviously many other people made the same observation.
    It's a shame really because I love the tone but I just can't afford to get dead strings from an expensive pack.
    I know I know I'm pretty sure that Rotosound would send me 3 packs if I caught a dead string and sent it back to them, just I live in France and going international mail with weeks of waiting to get a proper set of strings is a bit too much for me.
    I switched to Ernie Ball and never had the problem again.
  11. Only thing i hate about the roto's is they run out of stock where I live and I've got to wait sometimes for the small local store to reorder, being an hour away from where i live, it's a pain. But I love em all the same .
  12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Oh I hear what everyone's saying, I do. What I'm saying is that as a dealer for an extended period of Rotosound Strings I've only had a very low percentage of customers with any problems is all. That's why I only carry Rotos and TI's....very low return rate on both.

I'm not attempting to spam here Mods. I'm just giving my personal experience with the product line and I don't see it from this end is all. I also feel that Rotosound has gotten a bad rap as of late and there's been a "pile on" ripple spin around newsgroups.

I have many regular customers who wouldn't think of using anything else.
  13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've been using Rotosound strings for 27 years and never had a bad one. I've tried other brands and have always come back to Rotosound - not just because of quality, but also because nothing else sounds like Rotosound Swing Bass roundwounds.
  14. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's awesome. It's always great to see a company doing stuff like that. It's a shame I don't like Rotosound, they sould amazing except for the E string which never feels right, it's always kinda floppy and dead. I've used 3 sets and they were all like that.
  15. MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I've always been satisfied with Rotos. You get what you pay for. Until today, I didn't got what I paid for. Literally...

I paid for 4 stainless steal roundwound strings IIRC. That was a year ago or something. I totally forgot about the pack until I found it and opened it today. It seems I got 3 roundwounds and a flatwound G-string?! What's up with that?

I'm pretty pissed off right now. Currently I'm pretty out of dough, and I really wanted to put new strings on my Ibanez ATK. Strings are expensive here in Europe you know. I was very exited when I found them.

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Send an email to Rotosound and explain your situation and I'm sure they will take care of you.

email to: jason@rotosound.com

That's Jason How's email address.
  17. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I'd never tried them till 2 weeks ago, I put 66s on my acoustic bass, and it sounds great..............They feel strange at first but no problems at all..............
  18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Attn MBIYF,

Jason How himself has read this thread and will take care of you if you email him at the address I listed above.
  19. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I also have great customer service history with them.

Even if their strings weren't as good as they are, I'd still probably buy them just because Rotosound is an awesome company to deal with.

I recieved a .75 for my String Bass today in the mail, free of charge after the one I had bought snapped as soon as it started to hold any tension (the other three were fine). It was sent out a week ago.

Rotosound deals like small ("Mom 'n' Pop") music shops; great customer service and always willing to work with a customer.
  20. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I love Rotosounds, but right now the only music store in the area that carries them moved and hasn't stocked them since december. So I'm stuck using GHS Bass boomers, which I have to replace weekly to get anything close to good tone :bawl: