1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kudos to Southwest Airlines

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Laurent, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    We've all heard of United Airlines breaking a guitar and some guy writing a song on You Tube to tell about his misfortune.

As I was traveling, I stumbled onto a bass guitar I had to buy. From there I had to make a choice between trusting UPS or flying the bass back home with me.

I decided for the flight option. The bass is a Musicman Stingray Ball Family Reserve. An expensive instrument.

The case was in a hard case which itself was in a cardboard box.
    Not even attempting at taking it on board, I decided to check it in.

So I got to the counter and explained that I had a fragile instrument. The check in employee was very cool about it and proceeded to put fragile stickers on all sides.

Then he did not charge me for the oversized item (he could have - it was technically oversized). He did not charge me for checking in two pieces of luggage either. He had me sign a release mentioning that it was the rule but that with fragile stickers all over it I would have somewhat of a case if anything happened. Nice.

I told him that if his company were to break my bass I would cry and write a song about it. The buy smiled and said "like the guy with his guitar on United". I smiled back and said "exactly". People at Southwest Airlines have a sense of humor.

So I signed the release and waited anxiously at the gate looking for my prized new bass to be loaded onto the plane. The bass traveled right on the top of the luggage cart with nothing on the top of it. Very nice. The luggage handler loaded everything and loaded my bass last, handling it with care. Very nice.

When we landed I watched the unloading of the luggage as I waited for the plane door to open. My bass came out first (first in first out, I guess) and again it was put on the side of the luggage cart with nothing loaded on it. Nice again.

So I waited for my bass to come off the conveyor belt inside the terminal and I was there to catch it right off the chute. The box had no sign of impact. I started breathing again. My bass had made it safely through the journey. THANK YOU SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!

I fly all the time and I'm not sure I would trust United Airlines to do the same. American Airlines would rank higher on my list of airlines to trust with instruments.

Anyways, kudos to Southwest Airlines for taking such a good care of my new Musicman. In fact, I wanted to express my deep appreciation for their great handling of my bass. I had the feeling these people really cared and it's very nice to see.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Cool. Usually we all post when something bad happens, rarely when something goes according to plan!

3. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    True. But in this case I thought it might help fellow bass players to know that this Airlines seems to care about instruments.

4. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    Kickass :)