Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kudos to this Great Bass Builder and Rep.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Feb 24, 2004.

1. I know that Brian Barrett and The Low end are no strangers to a lot of folks here but I wanted to let those who are considering luthiers to know that Brian was EXTREMELY helpful, informative and tireless in sending me pics, answering questions and going the extra mile. I'm NOT posting this to give him and Chris Benavente a shameless plug under the wire but I want to repay him/them somewhat for deciding in the end to go with another luthier and depriving them of some food for their tables...

I thought Chris' work was exquisitely beautiful but in the end I'm kind of a classic traditionalist in my choice of designs and Benaventes are fairly modern-ish. So-I went another way.

Anyway if you are looking for a patient (incredibly) and helpful rep who will go out of his way I recommend Brian to anyone.

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW, Thanks for the props.

Glad to help and if there is ever anything else I can do just ask.

Carey builds a wonderful instrument and I'm sure everything will work out with the 6 string 30" scale .....

Thanks

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me Too :smug: not much is more traditional then a boutique 51 in my eyes :bassist:

I'll second the Props for Brian!!!! In the time I've known him, I not only consider him a wealth of gear knowledge but also a friend!!!! Thanks for putting up with me Brian!

Jim, congrats of whatever you get (post picts!!!) Maybe one of Chris' will be in the cards for you the next time around... I can't get enough of mine!!! Chris builds a killer bass... I've never held a better neck!!!

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That I'd like to see.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    6 string and 30" won't be a problem laid out correctly. Its a matter of physic's and the right woods for strength......

It will be a cool little bass done correctly.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100%. I once played an Alembic Series I 6 string short(30 1/2") scale that was simply amazing!

7. Embellisher,
    I've been trying to find an Alembic short scale six for years.
    There was one on ebay (finally) recently that someone hipped me to but I wasn't ready and there wasn't a trial period/all sales final...) If you could tell me/us what you observed on the Alembic that attributed to it's good sound on the low B (I presume it was tuned BEADGC?) Such as increased headstock angle, through body stringing, whatever it had...

Now that I've made my decision, tons of Alembic sixes will show up due to Murphy's law! :D Oh well, Carey and Chris' work is gorgeous and I want a single cut anyway.

Anything you can tell me/us would be great!

I'll post pic in 10 months! (or construction pics along the way...)

Carey and Brian are both wonderfully communicative people and a great comfort when attempting something unusual!

8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Jim,

In my opinion, you didn't miss much with that Alembic six on ebay. I believe it was a long scale Stanley Clarke with the stock electronics ripped out( goes against the grain ) and Barts installed. Not only was the essence removed, but if you wanted neck dive, this would be the ultimate.

Keep your eyes peeled. I bet another Alembic of your liking will surface again. Or, if you are so inclined, order your hearts desire in a bass direct. The folks at Alembic won't disappoint.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jim,

The one that I saw/played was pretty over the top. 9 piece neck(maple/ebony/walnut) and had about 20 layers of headstock veneer on the front and back, and a honkin' HUGE headstock. It also had a tilt back headstock. I attribute the great B it had to the stiffness of the neck, the stiffness of the headstock, and the mass of the bass. It weighed almost 16 lbs. There is no way I could have strapped it on for a 1 hour set, it would have caused me back problems. But it had a low B that is probably in the upper 80% of all the B's I have played. It wasn't as taut as a 34"(the laws of physics prevent that!;)) but it spoke very cleanly, and was much more playable/useable than a lot of the floppy 34" and 35" B's I have played.

10. Thanks guys. Yes, I'd want a true Alembic if I'd have gone that way. I feel better now! :)

Jeff, that's good news that you were happy with the low B. Sounds very hopeful for my forthcoming bass!

One day, I'll see one in a shop or run into someone and get to see what they're like. I'm going with heavy woods also (definitely a N. Ash body and hopefully Macassar Ebony top and back) but it certainly won't be 14-16 lbs!

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If it is built correctly it won't matter what the scale is. I just played a 25 inch scale Fury and it was just as beefy as any other bass I've ever played. Amazing sustain and not a bit muddy at all. It's all about neck, body and bridge mass.