1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kurt Elling - jazz vocal genius...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Aug 29, 2007.

1. OK - no noodly videos, MP3s, or links to other noodly dudes - here's a plain, honest to goodness recommendation for a fantastic, stunning, moving, uplifting, beautiful, impressive, gorgeous album by singer Kurt Elling.

I'm not the biggest fan of male jazz singers - I dig Sinatra (obviously) and Mark Murphy is a true god (he's a big influence on Elling), and I really like Ian Shaw (UK jazz guy) - but this album by Elling called 'Nightmoves' is just awesome.

I have no idea if this will register with any of you - for what it's worth the band ara amazing on the CD as well, Chris McBride lays down some tasteful bass on quite a few of the tune. But if you want to hear something a bit unusual - and some of the best jazz singing you will ever encounter today I highly recommend this dude out.

http://www.kurtelling.com/music/nightmoves/

OK I'm off now

Mike

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey! Nice recommendation.

I love everything Kurt Elling has done, don't just check out Nightmoves, he's got a lot of crazy albums. My favorite is The Messenger.

Nightmoves was mixed at Hinge Studios in Chicago, where I just got finished doing my internship. My third day there this summer, Kurt came in with his whole band and a string quartet to record two new demos (possibly for a new label?). Laurence Hobgood is barnone the best jazz pianist I've heard live, you gotta check him out (he's been working with Kurt since the beginning of his career).

I was so excited to see his name in the subject of a thread here, hurray.

3. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Good to see other Elling fans here. Another disc with great stuff is "Man in the air". It has a bunch of fusionesque classics like :a remark you made, winelight,and a Pat Metheny tune which name escapes me. His band is stunning. I've seen them several times and they can reinvent tunes on a moments notice. Hobgood solos are worth several rewinds and the way these guys reharmonize tunes is so fresh. His bassman Rob Amster has great feel, pitch, and is no slouch in the chops dept. Great stuff!!!

4. Nice one dude - yeah John Hobgood is unbeleivably killing on this record - when he solos you find yourself stopping whatever you are doing and staring at the stereo and going..."whoah, this cat can play..." - yes, it's a great record, and yes I should probably check out all his other stuff - it's nice when you find a guy who's made a loads of great albums over many years - then to treack back through them - when I find the time I may just do that.

M

5. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    For sure. "Resolution" on Man in the Air is probably my favorite vocalise he does. It's from a John Coltrane record, he adds his own lyrics. It's epic.

6. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Just found out who Kurt Elling is. I saw him when he appeared as a special guest with the Bob Mintzer Big Band. He stole the show as far as I'm concerned (which is saying a lot considering the band!).

7. Anyone mind posting links to some youtube vids or audio that really showcase his stuff? I'm all for finding new jazz singers to listen to but I haven't really liked what I've heard so far.

8. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Here is his version of Coltrane's "Resolution."

He performed this tune at the Bob Mintzer Big Band show. It was a real highlight of the show, IMHO.

9. Yeah, I'm thinking this cat just isn't for me. Thanks for the link though.

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Damn dude, what if he reads this? He'll be crushed.

11. LOL! I'm sure the existence of one non-hater, non-fan won't kill the guy. If I'm wrong and it does, I promise I'll make a formal apology at the funeral :p.