Kustom 1200 bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlstottMVP2, Mar 8, 2009.

1. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    What's the tone like on those? Are they solid performers for live shows? I'm negotiating with someone locally to sell me a used one. What kinda price should I expect?

2. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I've got this head and it is fantastic when used with an Avatar B212, Sonic B610T, or Peavey TVX115. It's even better when used with all four cabs to get closer to 2 ohms.

As far as the tone goes, it is pretty flexible. I'm not good at describing how it sounds. There is plenty of power to drive the low end and low mids that I like to add in, as well as the highs. The head sounds great with the all of the cabs I have tried. It may just take a bit of EQing for the room and to get a sound that you like. I've used it with a Behringer BA410 (which is notorious for not being a great sounding cab; the BB410, on the other hand, seems to be more accepted [but it's still Behringer...]) and it worked well. I was paring it with the Avatar B212, which didn't hurt the sound in the least. ;)

I have used it for every show I've done and nearly all practices (all but two, from what I can remember) and it has been very reliable. I've never even had to worry about it.

As far as pricing, it would depend on the condition. I paid $380 for mine to be shipped to me. The head is heavy so shipping was about $30. It also came with the footswitch and a 3U rack bag. I would expect to pay about $350 for the Kustom Groove 1200. Mine was in fantastic condition, though. I'd do it all over again. I absolutely love how much power the head provides, and it sounds great.

Just this weekend I was messing around with my Jazz bass through it. I rolled back the highs a bit and boosted the lower frequencies. It put a smile on my face that I still can't seem to wipe off. My band could benefit from a deep tone like that, but I'd have to roll the highs back up to add some more definition. I think we'll be jamming this upcoming weekend. We'll see how it sounds then.

I'd play it safe and ask to try it out before committing to buy it. You really have to judge for yourself. I'll just say that I do recommend the head. I love mine. I have toyed with the idea of going to a power amp + preamp setup but I couldn't bring myself to part with the head. I don't think I'd be able to top it because it does exactly what I want. I don't have very discriminating ears.

I wish I could offer more insight on the pricing. I'm not up to speed on what they go for. An estimate of about $350 seems reasonable to me.

---

I just thought I'd add in some of the things I don't particularly care for with the Kustom. I don't want you to disregard the head as an option, but just to point out that my post is not meant to be a puff piece on the head. I really can't find a lot of things wrong with the head other than:

1) The power cable is fixed to the unit. It is quite long, but I would still prefer a removable cable for the sake of easier transport. Of course, the head weighs about 30 pounds as it is so it clearly isn't meant to be the most portable head.

2) Only Speak-On, no 1/4". This is extremely minor. I was well aware of this feature before getting the head. It was just a pain because the only local place I could get a Speak-On cable was a local store that prices them a bit high. I like giving them business so I was okay with it, and it wasn't as outrageous as I was expecting. The Speak-Ons are great connections, though. I love how secure they seem. For the older cabs that don't have Speak-On support, I grabbed a couple of the Speak-On to 1/4" cables from Musicians Friend on the cheap. It was an awesome deal (2 of them for about $11 bucks, and I think they are 6 or 10 feet long). I really like Speak-On and now that I'm well equipped with an abundance of speaker cables, I don't even think about it anymore.

3) As mentioned before, this head is quite heavy. It feels very solid, as a result (in my opinion). I'd still keep it in a rack if you'll be moving it around a lot, though. Mine is out of its rack right now because it looks nice and I'm not transporting it at this point in time. I only mention this because it may be a concern of yours. Whether it is or not, you'd figure it out once you saw the head and tried to lift it. Thirty pounds seems reasonable to me, but a lighter head is something that is quite tempting.

Sorry for such a long post. I am just very pleased with my Kustom Groove 1200.

3. i've played through the heads before and enjoyed it, enough to look into buying it for myself. i had a deal slip by me, so i did some searching, and stumbled across this:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-310C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480765

essentially, it's the same head custom wired to a 3x10 cab.
    the price was right, so i ordered it.
    it's supposed to be shipped at the end of april. i'm eagerly awaiting it. if it sounds anything like the head you're looking at, it'll be money well spent.

i agree with the poster above me, the $350 range would seem fair for this amp in good condition.

4. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I have a Kustom 1200 and I can't say enough good things about it. I have been a long time GK guy but last year I was really looking for something different. A friend told me about this Kustom 1200 head that he was using at his rehearsal place. He told me that he was blown away by the tone and this is coming from a guy with Aguilar / Eden rigs. I ended up finding a mint condition used Kustom 1200 head for $400. I was using it for a while through my old Hartke 410xl cab and it sounded cool. I was much happier with my tone. I finally decided that my Hartke was not gonna let me bring out the full tone potential of the 1200 head so I picked up a used Ampeg PR-410hlf cab for $450. I am in tone heaven now! The 4 ohm cab has really brought out the true character of the head! Sounded almost a bit tube-ish if you can imagine. You can get a bit of an overdriven tone out of the head without the harshness that I used to get from my GK's. My band members are blown away by the presence and definition of the bass. The head can be as clear and defined or as grindy as you like. I don't see myself letting go of this head. It is a keeper. Where else can you find a head that goes down to 2 ohms and 1200 watts (I fully understand that the rating could be pumped up on paper a bit) for $350 - $400? It's really worth trying one out. I really don't understand why there isn't a bigger following for this head.

My only major gripe is the hard wired power cable. I really wish it was a plug in style. Not a really big deal though. The weight doesn't bother me since I have it mounted in a 4 space SKB rolling tote case.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

5. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Yep yep yep. Got mine delivered yesterday and was fortunate enough to be able to play it with my band on the same day. Playing through a Genz-Benz Neox 212 with this amp is tonal bliss for me. I wasn't UNhappy at all with my Carvin B800, but the Kustom is something extra special IMO. The Kustom EQ setup looks sort of redundant, but I was able to dial in great tones pretty quickly while getting familiar with the amp, so I'd say it works well. Seems to have a more gutsy sound while also being able to bring on more definition without becoming harsh.

Maybe the best thing I can say about it is that I was thinking about putting a preamp in my Aerodyne but not anymore. Seems to hit all the right spots for me now as it is! :hyper::bassist::hyper:

6. I've had mine for about 2 years but I hardly use it...the bloody cab it came with has a real nice sound but its STUPID in size - I mean, 2 foot deep and 7 and a half stone for a 4 by 10?!?!

GREAT sounding rig though (I REALLY should look into one of the newer cabs they've made for it which weigh like less than half as much...may actually use it then!)

7. I ve used this head a couple of times, for its money its perhaps the best amp head in the market. and more watts that you ll probably ever need. hehe..

8. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Wademeister63, I'm glad you're happy with the GB 1200! Mine will be getting another workout this friday night at our gig. I hope to have some video to put up on YouTube. I'll post a link in this thread once the vids are uploaded.

9. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I'm really interested on watching it in action.

10. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I've been playing through my Kustom 310c for about a year and wanted to wait for the "honeymoon" to end before I reviewed it,but honestly,every time I turn it on,it starts all over! In a nutshell,user-friendly controls...Plenty of volume(ever hear"hey man,can you come down some so I can hear the drums?!"...great,clean,tones-the 3-10 setup plays like 4-10s/1-15,but without the transitional slop from the 15.Bright,warm punch all the way down through my fiver's low b...it also has a seperate tweeter attenuater to dial in all the sparkle you want! You'll love it!!

11. Sheroniak

Sheroniak

Aug 12, 2007
    I've had this rigg for a couple year now and freaken love it. This thing can blow away most anything twice its price in sound and quality. It's funny that the head itself without the cab is more expensive than with the 3 10s. But there in lies my problem. I own the 310c but I want the option to power other riggs. Does anyone have any technical knowledge on how I might go about adding some wiring that would allow me to power another cab?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022