Kustom 1200 or GK 1001RB-II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teej, Dec 31, 2005.

1. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    OK, here's the scoop. I just sold my Peavey head with the intent on using the money on a new amp. I've pretty much narrowed my choices to a Kustom 1200HD and a GK 1001RB-II. Mostly for my benefit, I've color-coded the pros and cons of each amp.

With the Kustom...
    1200 watts = 500 more than the GK
    Less $$$
    Doesn't have 1/4" outputs — only speakons (I don't like speakons)
    You can't remove the rack ears
    The layout/design is too minimalistic (I want knobs and buttons EVERYWHERE)

The GK...
    Only 18 lbs. (30 lbs. less, which is primarily why I sold my Peavey)
    Removeable rack ears
    1/4" outputs (1/4" = good!)
    Almost 1/2 the power of the Kustom
    More $$$
  2. SUBass

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't quite understand why you dislike Speakon connectors so much. They are a way superior method to connecting high power amplifiers and speakers. They don't short (1/4" connectors short when you connect them), they don't pull out (they have a locking mechanism) and they support WAY more current than 1/4" connectors.

All that said...The GK has 1/4" connectors as well as Speakon for those that have a need for either.

I haven't spent much time with the Kustom but I thought it was a decent amp...I just bought a GK because it has the sound I want. That's just me though....You gotta make your own decisions.

3. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I don't hate Speakon, I just prefer 1/4". My cabs are 1/4"-only, and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of adapters to be able to use them with the Kustom.
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    +1 on the Speakons. I wouldn't buy an amp without them.
    I really like the GK. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Kustom but the GK is seriously loud, clear and sounds great! Wide variety of tones available from the GK, but its specialty is definitely clean, quick and punchy!
    You'll have to let your ears decide.
    Just my $.02.
  5. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm in the same boat as you teej. I've been going around and around for a year over the Kustom or the GK. Either is the complete package I desire. The Kustom has the wattage I want but it isn't bi-amp. The GK is bi-amp but it throws 700w to the low end and only 50w to the highs. I would like to send a little more to my 4x12, like another 150w. 500/200 would be choice.

Also have been tempted by the Ashdown ABM900 EVO which is bi-amp 575w + 575w. Though this wattage is more what I had in mind the configuartion leads me to think it is to power two like cabs. The configuration I'd like to power is a Sunn 18+12 and a Marshall 4x12. Anyone have any enlightening info?

Srry if I'm highjacking here teej, but I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time as well - thanx.

If I had to choose betweem GK and Kustom I'd go for the Kustom I'm thinking.
  6. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    Haven't tried the Kustom, but owned the 1001RB-II... it's an awesome amp if you like GK and the GK sound, I don't think you'll miss the extra watts of the Kustom, since the GK gets plenty loud. Don't think I ever tumed it up past like 10 o'clock.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Do a search and you will see that I did a side by side shootout between these two amps a while back. BTW, the Kustom is NOT 30 lbs heavier. The GK is 18ish lbs and the Kustom is 31 which makes is a 13 lbs difference (not much). The Kustoms is WAY louder than the GK and also not quite as modern sounding. The Kustom is more vintage, and more "tubey" sounding. The GK has more of a solid state, bright in your facr sound. To each their own...

The Kustom also goes down to 2 ohms which means you can drive up to 4 - 8 ohm cabs! Can you say WALL OF SOUND??? Plus it also also will allow use of 2 - 4 ohms cabs which the GK won't do.
  8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Oh, and Speakon's a far superior. You should ALWAYS use them in a high wattage environment (like with these two amps). 1/4" cables were not designed to carry that kind of wattage. They were designed when amps were putting out far less wattage than today and that's why Spekons were introduced.
  9. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I was just wondering if you can connect a 2 wire speakon to a gk1001rb-2,i know gk calls for a 4?
  10. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    GK does NOT call for a four wire! You only need the four wire to use the HMS biamp feature. Standard two wire is the normal for non-biamped cabs.

Oh, and for the guy griping about speakons, myself I solved the adapter problem quite simply. I put speakons on EVERY cabinet I own - bass, PA, home stereo, you name it. 1/4" suck rat nutsack - I've had it with the failures!

Oh, and regarding your amp power comparison, the Kustom only does 1200 into a 2 ohm load, and 800 into 4, as per their web site. If so, then it and the GK are the same power in most configs, although the GK will not drive a 2 ohm load. IE, if you are only running a single or dual 8 ohm cab, then the power issue is a dead heat . . . .

- Tim
  11. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If you want knobs galore, check out the SWR Mo' Bass:

12. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    ok thanks
  13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get the GK.

(certifiable GK user)

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1 GK just flat out works dependably.
    p.s Speakons are the future.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    From my own experience, I'd take the Carvin B1500 (1250 W/4 ohms, 1900 W/2 ohms; $799) over the G-K. Not a knock on the G-K; I just like the Carvin better.

Dunno about the Kustom, but word of mouth is good.
  16. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

It's not a good thing to cause a short in the output section of a class D amp, or any amp for that matter; Speakons are a must!
  17. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    +1 for the GK. Like was said earlier, the power ratings for the amps are actually very similar, but the GK won't drive a 2 ohm load. That is where the Kustom jumps ahead. But, what kind of cabs will you be using it with? This will make a major difference as well. I personally would never be one to use 4 8 ohm cabinets. Who's going to carry it all? Not me, I'll tell you that. Then you also have control options. I do like the graphic EQ on the kustom. But apart from all of this, the most important choice is the one that sounds best to you.

BTW, I found a GK on the EvilBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gallien-Kreuger...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

About what you'd pay for the Kustom (maybe even less.)
  18. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I meant the GK was 30 less than my old amp, not the Kustom.

I've never looked at it that way. My eyes usually zoom right to the biggest number.

Right now, I've got (2) 8-ohm 112s, but I'll be upgrading to a 210 with a 212 or 115 soon.

Thanks for the link! The Kustom I'm watching is at BassNW — $399 plus ~$25 shipping, and the GK in the link is the same price as another GK I've got my eyes on, only shipping isn't included.
  19. GK. If the Kustom really is louder than the 1001RB-II, I really don't know why you would need it. The GK is one loud mother. I actually read in Bass Player that they found the Kustom to be a quiet 750 watts or whatever it is at 4 ohms, could have been the cabs they were using, but just thought I'd throw that in there.