1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom 1200 question (active/passive)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by invader3k, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hi all. I have been using my Kustom Groove head at gigs lately with my Dr Bass cabs. Rig sounds great, perfect tone for the rock stuff we do.

One thing, though. When I use my EBMM Bongo 4HH bass, I would normally switch the Kustom's "active/passive" switch to active. However, I've noticed the green "signal" light on the amp doesn't come on when it's set like this. If I switch it to "passive" the green signal light does come on. I played most of the gig last night like this, and didn't see the red clip indicator come on. So, is this OK, or should I be worried? Bongo had new batteries in it. I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that I'm using a fairly lengthy lead between my pedal board and the amp...or could something else be causing this issue (if you can call it that)?

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    there are a lot of considerations, a significant one being how you're running the bass volume and eq section.

On a side note, even with active basses, I run my amps in the passive mode if I can get away with it. The output levels of basses are all over the place.

I have active basses that are at parity and I have passive basses (G&L JB2) with overwound pups that are extremely hot....and I use the active input pad on the amp.

So in the end, I wouldn't worry about it. If your amp sounds good...you'll be fine.