1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom 1200 vs Carvin B1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JahNissi, Nov 28, 2006.

1. JahNissi

JahNissi

May 24, 2006
    Illinois
    I was looking at these 2 amps because of the power output and because they both run at 2 ohms. I'm running a Avatar 212 and 410 both at 4 ohms each. Between the 2 the power rating doesn't matter to much to me so thats not an issue. The price is not that different either.

I was mainly wondering about tone. I've heard pretty good things about both of them. I've had little experience with either. I played a Carvin 6 string and 4 string that I really really liked, but a 5 string that I didn't. Nothing in the amplification section though. I have never played anything by kustom which worries me a little. Thanks guys.

2. Did you search? There are numerous posts on both these amps here.

I have the B1500, and it's killer. I've spent very little time with the 1200, but many folks here like them a lot.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    B1500.. its an animal

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Another vote here for the carvin b1500. The Kustom head is garbage.

5. JahNissi

JahNissi

May 24, 2006
    Illinois
    I did search, thanks though. I was reading SMASH's thread about it and it sounded good, the only thing I am afraid of is that I don't play any metal. I play more like phish/OAR/Dave stuff. Not very metaly. Will it work for this do you guys think?

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've owned the Kustom and played the Carvin. No contest, Carvin for sure...

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Don't have any input on the Kustom (except for my old tuck and roll head/cabs-jeez, I'm old... :rollno: ). However, I can say that the Carvin B1500 is the shizzle. Get one ASAP. If you don't agree, you can send it back and only be out the cost of return shipping. Such a deal!

cheers,
    Kevin

8. One qestion I had about the B1500 to those that have played it was...in either Smash's review or I forget who's the one with the Glockenlang hey stated that it can get a tad "dry" or "sterile" or "harsh" in the trebles. To those of you that have played this amp considering this is it true? and more importantly how would it be for Marcus Miller,Victor Wooten,Bela Fleck type stuff. The real bright slap thing and the 70's funk thing. now I actually like playing alot of WondermTemptations,Jackson 5,Gaye, Donny Hathaway,and more, but every once in awhile I like whippin out th4e old bela fleck marcus miller groove. Also, how is it with it's cab? The Carvin Cab that comes with it if you buy the stack package. How is that cab is it efficient? how does it sound good? bad? average? Thank you

9. I've got the Kustom 1200, bought it from a fellow TB'er right here. I've only had a chance to gig live with it maybe 3 or 4 times but it performed well above my expectations. As for as it being "garbage", I don't think so, but to each his own. It's definately no Eden or Traynor. I run mine through a DRBASS BL-212, 600 watt cab and it sounds great. As the previous poster said, it's best to A-B them cause you know what sound you like. I have nothing against Carvin products, matter of fact I have two of their PB-100 watt 15" combo amps that I sometimes use for small gigs, and they are loud and deep in tone. Just my 2 cents. :meh: :D

10. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    i dont play metal either.. i currently do Americana, RnB, Country, Funk, Pop, blues stuff.. all in different bands of course.. the amp can be very clean and fast... with mucho headroom... and it works in a 2 ohm load while being tortured by outside temps of 104 hot texas summer air to cool it down and it keeps working.. great amp.... if it had a tube preamp which it does not it would be King of all amps for me.. the drive know does a good job of simulating a tube pre.. but honestly its an animal that can go to a real nice roar or be whisper quiet into a 1x12 cab....
    i run mine through 1 to 4 aguilar gs112 cabs.. or my bagends.... depends... the bagends sound amazing without the tweeter...

11. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I'd pick the Carvin, for sure. At least if you ever have a problem, you won't have to learn how to speak Chinese. My Carvin poweramps have all been trouble free, for years now.

12. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I have the 1200 kustom, and even though I have nothing against Carvin products, the 1200 is a beast. I play every thing, funk, jazz,gospel and I can get modern or old skool with this head. For the price I don't think you can beat it.

13. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I use a Kustom 1200 and a Carvin B800 which is extremely similar to the B1500 by all I've read. Either one could be the backup head for the other, I love them both. I think the Kustom actually has more character and I like the EQ setup on it a lot. The Carvin head is a little simpler and has an adjustable level on the XLR output which I also like a lot. The Kustom seems to have more "grunt" somehow, and I don't mean by maximum volume. I run either through a single G-B Neox 212 cab. Got two of those cabs but so far haven't needed to hook them both up at the same time. I don't own any garbage equipment ;)

14. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I'm looking at both of these as prospective new rigs as well; anyone else have experience with one or both that they could share?

15. I had the kustom for a while i had to throw a sans amp rbi in my rack and use the kustom as a power amp. i didnt like the sound at all and i was using bergantino cabs and it still didnt sound that great.

16. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    The B1500 is great. I play mostly through a GB ShuttleMax12 amp now but I don't plan on letting the B1500 go. Its a great amp and there are quite a few reviews and threads about this amp. Can't comment on the Kustom though, never played one.