Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom 1200 vs. Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    So i find myself in a dilemma, and i says to myself "Self, make a new thread about it!"
    :help: :help: :help:

Here's the deal, my band is starting to gig out big time thanks to a stroke of luck. Good thing, right? The only problem is, my only form of amplification is a VERY beaten up Peavey TNT115. It gets the job done in TINY bars and clubs, but in the types of venues i'll be heading into (including and outdoor one) this POS ain't gonna cut it.

SO, my question to you guys is which amp would you buy? The solid state new kid on the block that's guaranteed to run at 2ohms safely, or go for a QSC/Pre and get drowned out until i save up the cash for the pair.

I'll be playing mostly a Lakland 55-01 (sometimes my might SKB3006) into two ACME Low B-2s(one B-2W). I play every style of music you can think of and all in one set haha. I like to have OD and tube-emulating capability similar to that of a Tech 21 Head (check soundclips on thier site).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts:) And if you have some other suggestions int he price range feel free to let me know!

2. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I had a Walkabout and I used that amp more than any other amp I owned. I loved that thing and used it in all kinds of venues and it covered them all without a hint of a problem.
    I traded it to a member here and I sure do miss that badboy. The Walkabout will cover any thing you run into, anything bigger you go direct anyway thru the head. It is an amazing little head.

3. The Walkabout sounds very interesting to me because of its removable head. I would love to check one of these out.

Sorry I never tried either of them :smug:

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm aq Kustom fanboy myself. I love my Kustom Groove bass head. Its tone ios amazing, and it so damn powerful. well worth the 600

5. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Every once in awhile The E to the Bay will have one..

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All the power and features, you could ever want!!! The tone is KILLER! Very warm and can get very gritty (think Ampegish) for a solid state head. Go with the Kustom for sure. I'm telling you, you will be amazed and the sound power and build quality of this thing.

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Guitar Center is blowing them out this weekend for 479. Today (Sunday) is the last day the special is!

8. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    I just picked up a Walkabout at the GC sale. I'm really digging what I hear, and the weight/size rules. :^)

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Personally, I'd get the Kustom..... simply because you could just walk in, buy one, and leave.

However, if you FIND A Walkabout easily... then maybe you should take your chances on it. Both heads will have a fairly decent resale Value... so its not like your screwing yourself over and buying a B2R (ZZZZIING!).

However, some of it may just depend on the volume you need. If you get the Walkabout, I would recommend making sure you have a lot of cone surface. Well... not like an 810 or nothing, but dont just use it with a 4ohm 210 cab. If weight is a concern, I'd pick up an Avatar 210 Neo and an SB112... but that's just me.

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Chariot: I'd be using it with 2 Wizzy 1x12s

11. Quadzilla

Deal--> Click

Looks new with extra stuff (extra footswitch and speakon, etc).

12. Jmaginnis

Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    While I agree that the Kustom is an extrmely powerful amplifier for the price, I just find it a complete turn off that it is a pure B amplifier. That is probably why they can get away with making it so cheap.

13. Quadzilla

Explain to me what the downsides are of a pure B amp? Thanks much!

14. Jmaginnis

Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    In a pure class B amplifier, when the signal changes polarity the waveform transistor has to switch off and then next has to turn on, because of the delay in that action, it results in a hiccup in the signal called crossover distortion. It looks something like this.
    [​IMG]
    Class A functions on a push-pull system, where half the valves do one half of the signal and the others do the other half. They (the valve preamp groups) can both work simultaneously, resulting in no distortion of the signal. Class B has to deal with the constant switching off and on of transistors, causing constant distortion of the signal, especially small and/or fast waveforms, which is why you will rarely see a pure class B amplifier.

AB was spawned as a mix of both. While class A is cleaner sounding, it is highly inefficient because it is constantly powering a signal, even if there is no input. Basically it is always running hot. Class B, however, only powers a signal when there is input given. AB is just a hybrid, it uses A's vavle preamp section to create a good clean signal, and then powers it B style.

15. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    so how does that translate into playing during a gig? I'm very interested in tech stuff haha :smug:

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

This is wildly incorrect, sorry. :eyebrow: Start with the talkbass AMP FAQ, here: http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

Scroll down to section 5, there's a good explanation of amplifier classes of operation there.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Kustom is apparently rated at 5% total distortion at full power output, which sounds fine for tube amps, but maybe not so fine for solid state ones. YYMV. :meh:

18. Jmaginnis

Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    And I quote.

"Class B: The opposite of class A. No current flows through the output stage when in rest. Stand-by power consumption is nearly non-existent, but crossover distortion is eminent, be it acceptible for some applications (like speech or sirens)."

My post is entirely correct sir, thank you.

19. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Mesa all the way. It has the tone. I gig one and I love it for all kinds of classic rock and oldies.

20. Jmaginnis

Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    Sorry for getting so off topic but, (if you couldn't guess what my answer is gonna be already...) definately go with the mesa bro. You won't be the least bit disappointed.