1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kustom 2X15 help, unknown speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ngh, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    hey all so i just picked up this cab on a GASsy impulse about 5 hours ago. was it good idea? i'm not sure yet! (but thats half the fun right? ;) )

anyway it came loaded with what seems to be the original speaker which is a jenson special design (thats what the label reads see pictures) but the seccond speaker is a mysterious more modern looking replacement (the black one) it seems to have a small tear in it near the cone :bawl: but I would like to know what it is, blown or not.

also i am stating to have an inkling that this is a guitar cab (I know all about blue label jenson special designs (12" usually) for guitar but have not heard of them for bass)

so in short what do I have? should I be happy?

IMG_0535.

IMG_0533.

IMG_0536.

IMG_0532.

IMG_0539.

IMG_0542.

IMG_0540.

IMG_0548.

so... :cool: or :crying: ? i think :bassist: either way!

2. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    well i should have held my tongue. seems like the black one is an eminence legend of some sort.

3. The black one is def. Eminence. Jensen did make "bass" speakers but they were not really Jensen's strong suit. IIRC the bass cabs could come stock with Utah, Eminence or CTS.

If it was a bass cab the port tubes are missing? Still a nice looking cab and should be fun to mod.

4. looking at the label and the speaker config I'd say CB158 by Emi which is a very nice driver :cool:

Edit: once again B-String beats me to it :D Agreed, the cab should be ported if that has a CB158, they're not all that great in a sealed cab.

If it were me I'd replace the Jensen with another CB158 and port/tune the cab. Keep the Jensen in a sealed cab and use with a low power (<100 watt) tube amp for vintage vibe.

5. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    thanks for the reply if I wanted to retrofit port tubes how how would i want to do that?

also I think I'm gonna try to snag some k140's or d140's for it if I can find them at the right price figure I could fetch a pretty penny for the jenson there is an identical one up on the bay for 120 at the moment. i'm thinking i
    came out alright on this one :smug:

6. yeah you did :smug:

If you want to go that direction and can't find the JBLs take a look at the Faital 15PR400s, get pretty close and you can buy them all day long at US Speakers.

7. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    unfortunately the cb158 is blown :( but
    i might keep it around to possibly recone in the future

8. is it blown or is it just a small tear? You can hit the tear with a drop of crazy glue and you'd be back on the road if that's all the issue is.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The black one is eminence. Email all those numbers, along with your pics and explanation here to eminence customer service, they'll fill you in with whatever specs/details they have.

The bad news....At least one should be replaced. Running different drivers in the same airspace like that usually mushes up the sound, limits power handling and generally doesn't end well.

The good news.....The cab looks to be in really good shape, is a one-of-a-kind sort of classic, and can be made to sound quite hood with just a bit of affordable work.

The other idea......Assuming both those drivers work, and you're the least bit handy with very simple carpentry....you could install a panel just below the top driver cutout to change that into 2 chambers. A smaller, sealed top chamber and a slightly larger, ported bottom chamber. Line both chambers, put them eminence in the ported bottom, the jensen in the sealed top, and employ the use of a fairly simple 500hz passive crossover, or even just stick a capacitor in front of the jensen, , and end up with a bassy bottom, flavory top sounding cab to add to your arsenal that just might sound as good as it looks.:)

sealdd top chamber

10. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    you just took my thought process to a whole new level :D

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Damn. Knowledgable folks jumping all over your cab....I got slow thumbs.:D

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    OK, so you're sure the Legend is blown? Of so, that opens up options a bit as you're not left with 2 functional speakers. If you're interested in the bass bottom/guitar top thing, getting it reconed would be the cheapest way to go. It's a good performer and worth that.

Of course, trying other woofers on the bottom is an option too, as is selling the jensen to help fund some JBL's....that would be awesome too.

So, let's back up just a bit. How would you like this thing to sound? Would a single 15 carrying the lows be loud enough for what you want to do? Would you like some guitary character up top or prefer a single, loid, 215 bass cab? What amp? Style of music?....all that stuff.

13. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I run those same Eminence Legends in my Ashdown cabs and they rock. Great speakers for the price.

14. ngh

ngh

Feb 6, 2013
    brooklyn, ny
    update! so I took the super glue advice and fixed up the legend put it back in and played. I got the same high end crackle/hiss I was getting. so I pulled the jenson out of the chain and just ran the legend... better but i still got a tiny bit of hiss. so I pulled the jenson out of the cabinet all together and presto, SOUNDS AMAZING. so sounds like there is something up with the jenson not sure what but i think I am going to try to hock it for whatever I can get for it. and put that toward another matching eminence.

so does this mean i need more port than just the two small cylindrical ports? If so I was thinking I might try to imitate a sunn 200s baffle in there and have myself a bootleg sun cab to eventually fill up with some jbl's if i feel i want to.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd email Eminence all those numners off that driver and get specs back from them. See how close those are to the newest "Legend CB158" as they may've changed a little over the years. If they're damn close, get another legend. If they're close but not damn close, get another legend anyway and install the divider to make it 2 separate 115's inside.

In either case, to get the best performance out of them, you should add some more ports with some length to them. One of us can use a modeling program to help with that. Were it me, I'd hide the new ports behind the grillcloth and just leave the 2 chrome rings showing out front.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Where do you find these things...spend all day scourimg the web for deals?:D Somebody elses thread a while back you found a practice amp closeout speaker for like $9 that modeled great, it was worth sketching up a little backporch jam cab using a pair.

While that 15 won't take quite the lowend beating of the CB15, , it looks to be a pretty good fullrange 15 that won't need a giant box to sound bassy and can reach very respectable gig level SPL without needing a boatload of power either......another choice that should sound a good deal better than it's price would lead one to believe.

17. Bravo :cool:

18. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Cool cabinet. Those were real plywood too, I think. Kustom used various drivers in there and never changed the ports. I think they just guessed at what would look cool as far as chrome ports. I don't think I'd go to the length of 2 separate chambers. Measure the internal volume and have someone calculate the length measurements for two port tubes to affix to the chrome ones that are already in there, for the speakers you choose. Should sound very nice! Congrats!

19. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    :bag: OOPS... I don't see any chrome ports. Carry on.