Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kustom 60's tuck and roll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 00soul, Mar 13, 2005.

1. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    how are these compared to modern solid state heads with similar wattage?

2. Well, I own one (K250 with 2x15 cab), so here's my take...

1) The sound is nice and warm.

2) The amp is underpowered by today's standards. The K250, advertised as 250 watts, puts out 125 watts RMS, give or take a few.

3) The amp was built pretty well for its time. Unfortunately, some of its parts, including certain IC's and transistors, are obsolete. So if the amp fries, you may encounter problems. Another common difficulty is the blue pushbutton power switch, they aren't made anymore.

4) The cab is OK, pretty good (but not great) construction-wise. The soft wood in mine strips easily. If you're lucky, get a cab with the JBL D140F's. Though these probably will need to be reconed (after 30+ years..) Handles are obsolete, I believe, as well.

5) Recovering either the amp or the cab is a major PITA. The naugahyde is still available if you wish to go that route.

For vintage cool, these amps look great and sound good in certain settings. Don't expect to overpower a loud rock drummer though.

My advice, if you can get a working rig for a decent price, that doesn't have rips in the tuck-and-roll, you may enjoy it for its vintage factor. Don't pay big bucks, and if it doesn't work, pass on the amp....

Check out www.vintagekustom.com for a forum and lots of info.

3. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    Do these have any relation with the kustom 1200 watt groove bass amp?

4. No, no relation whatsoever. The original Kustom company went out of business in the mid to late 70's from what I've read. The name was purchased and passed through several owners before it was recently revived. No circuits, design features, or anything else has been passed down for use by the current owners.

So the only resemblance to the old amps is 1) the name and 2) the resurrection of the use of the tuck-and-roll upholstery.