Kustom amp & cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Nov 29, 2003.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Can anyone give me an idea of what year this could be from?

In a local guitar store, they're selling a 400 Watt Kustom head (Red tuck & roll, 2 inputs, tube pre-amp, solid state power amp, compression, chorus, 6- or 7-band equalizer) and matching 2 X 15" cabinet for $649 for the whole set.

Also, do you think it's a good deal?

I played a G&L 2500 through it, and it sounded pretty damn good, actually... more highs than I thought a 2 X 15" with no tweeter would have.
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

sounds damn good to me. if it's anything like the old kustom stuff it'll survive the apocalypse.
  3. It's a recent amp, within the last five years or so. The early Kustoms were purely solid state.

Basically, a few years ago the Kustom name was revived. The new company, and the new amps, have nothing in common with the old Kustom (other than the name and tuck-and-roll look).

As an owner of an old K250 rig, I've kinda kept an ear out for opinions on the new stuff. Unfortunately, the reviews I've read have not been very enthusiastic. I also have read that they are not selling very well, so you may be able to get a much better deal if you really want one. I'm not even sure if they're going to even try to continue production, from what I read the company didn't make much profit on their tuck-and-roll cab. I remember seeing a bunch of new cabs on Ebay, like people were dumping their inventory. Sadly I would not be too keen to rush into buying a new Kustom rig, and certainly not for $650.

If you check out the vintage Kustom site, www.vintagekustom.com (if the site's still up), you may be able to find more info.