Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom amp rumor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapnuts, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Yes

61.5%
  2. No

38.5%
  1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    My local music store guy (I usually trust this guy, he has been playin since he was 7.) told me that Kustom is finished with the roll and tuck (The leathery kind of cushioning kustom used to put on their amps.). Can someone confirm or disconfirm this rumor?

2. What do you mean? Finished making a new line of Tuck and Roll amps?

3. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah, that is what he told me. He said that the groove line is the new line.

4. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    No, Sorry, my bad. They are done COMPLETLY with tuck and roll.
    If it is true, that is very depressing.

5. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I was under the impression that Kustom is now, and has been for several years, a seller of cheap Chinese amps, not connected in any way with Buddy Ross of Chanute, Kansas...

From time to time, the Chanute people have risen to produce another line amps. I have one such, a "Krossroad" combo amp, blue tuck and roll with 200 watts and a 15" EV speaker.

But they can't use the Kustom name.

6. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    See i was told kustom was bought out like a year or so ago.

7. Budd Ross quit making Kustoms in the mid-70's.

The name has been resurrected by various companies over the years, and they have tried to capitalize on the early Kustom look and reputation. However, none of the amps since then are even close to the originals. Not the same circuits, not made by the same people, not the same parts. The only thing in common is the name. :(

8. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah, but the company name has not been bought out since they stopped making roll and tuck. And all I want to no is if that rumor above is true

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Tuck N Roll is dead. Long live Tuck n Roll.
    Rezdog

10. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Thank You for finally someone answering my question.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Incorrect sir. Tuck n roll is back JACK! Check this pic from Kustom's home page ( www.kustom.com ). In addition to them bringing back tuck n roll, beefing up their amps from the junk of a few years ago into nice stuff, they also have a HELL of a babe on their front page! :D :p :eek:

(By the way, the amps below are their new guitar amps, not bass)

[​IMG]

12. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Sweet dude. Thanks a lot. Thank you for ending a search for answer.

13. yeah, because going to the kustom website's mainpage was way too hard... :rollno:

14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

In any event, Kustom is taking good steps forward to bring their reputation back as a quality maker of fine amps vs the guys that pump out lower wattage and lower end junk from China. They have introduced some really nice guitar and bass amps recently, hired a big gun amp designer from Peavey (I think it was Peavey) and even had some great endorsements from some promenent artists lately.

I'm glad to see them turning it around. Their new stuff is cool and is getting great praise in the magazines and forums. Thei Groove Bass 1200 (yes 1200 watts) head recently won a shootout in a German Bass magazine by the name of "Tools" where it went up against Ampeg, Hughes and Kettner, Laney, Behringer and Yorkville. I can tell you first hand that the Groove Bass is a great head having owned one since February.

It's a far cry from the stuff I was seeing from them just a year or two ago. Their guitar amps have also recieved similar boosts. I'm glad to see them try to live up to the old name!

15. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Shut up. I checked there not to long ago and they did not have the roll and tuck.

Why do you feel like you have to pick on me. :crying: Gosh. You're just so mean I am going to crawl into a corner and never come out. :bag: Jk. :)

No but seriously, I couldn't check them because my computer crashed and then I went on a month long vacation. (long story). :cool:

16. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Actually, I saw that picture at Kustoms Website since March.....

17. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    what?!!? :eek:

Then what website have I been going to? :eyebrow:

18. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    I stand corrected. ;) I thought they were gone for good. Back in ancient times I had a black Tuck N Roll Kustom 200 head with the 3X15 JBL cab made in their Chanute Kansas factory. Like I said, "Long live Tuck N Roll".
    Rezdog

19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Oh well dang thats what Jim Bergantino is doing ALL wrong. he needs a babe on his website to sell cabs.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I had a Kustom 200 head in blue sparkle, and the 3x15 cab in black tuck and roll.

It looked cool, but sounded like hell and was a pain to move.

Its a cool look, but looks waaaaay outdated & should stay in the past.