1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom Bass Amp OK for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mij Slap, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mij Slap

Mij Slap

Jan 9, 2017
    What's everyones opinion on this Bass Amp Setup I am just wanting it for practicing in my basement. I am going to try to learn bass my wife says I need a hobby and well I have always wanted to play bass. It's apparently a Kustom III Bass Amp 130 Watts and A Matching Kustom III 15 Cabinet. He tells me is mother purchased it brand new in the 80s and it has very little use. Would you consider it OK for a first time bassist? Thank you for any help! 00L0L_hdD2eubAc2W_600x450. eginner 00E0E_gkPmwVtTYJr_600x450. 00202_70Twcck0987_600x450. Amp for $150?

2. Mij Slap

Mij Slap

Jan 9, 2017
    He wants $150 for it?

3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Hello Mij Slap, welcome to Talkbass!
    I hope you will enjoy playing bass for years to come!

Seems like a good beginners amp to me.
    Kustom does have some nice amps IMHO.
    I don't know this particular one, but if it sounds good to you, it is good!
    Regarding the price, 150 USD may be a bit much, maybe more in the 90 to 120 USD range?

4. Mij Slap

Mij Slap

Jan 9, 2017
    OK thank you I really appreciate any help! I'll try to talk him down a little;)!

5. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I had that exact same head and the cab with 2 15" speakers. Was around '82 or so.

I gigged with it and never mic'd the cab or ran a line out to the PA.

If it doesn't have any hum or hiss issues it's worth 150.00 imo. But yes, offer less.

Best to have someone who knows how to check the amp out look at it for you if possible.

Good luck with it.

Mij Slap likes this.
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yes - if working properly, it's worth the $150, particularly including the covers, a very nice extra.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my second amp was a kustom combo (or should that be kombo?), and it rocked. wish i still had it. can you test it to make sure everything works?

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's kinda powerful for a practice amp, amd a bit wimpy for gigging. But that's a good price, and test to make sure it works (and yes, try to get the price down). But if it's in good shape, it's pretty good until/unless you get serious with a band.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My main thought is that it's fine, really all you need is something that will make noise so you can hear yourself play at this point. However, more modern practice amps will have features that this one doesn't, like aux-in and headphone-out jacks that would allow you to play an mp3 player through it or practice silently in the middle of the night. On the other hand, at 130 watts and a 1x15 speaker, this would allow you to play in a band setting , at least in practice- a little underpowered for a full-on rock and roll gig, maybe, but you ought to be able to be heard in a band that isn't utterly stupid loud.

10. Mij Slap

Mij Slap

Jan 9, 2017
    I can also get Fender Bassman 100 combo it has a a single 15 I am unsure off the watts. fender-bassman-100-152206.

Attached Files:

11. First of all , welcome to talkbass. O.K. both of these amps will serve you well as a beginner. Both would also be adequate in a practice setting for a band , and would also probably work satisfactorily for a small gig setting. For the record , I think the Fender amp is a 100 watt. The difference between 100 and 130 watts is negligible. I personally would probably prefer the Fender for a couple of reasons. I like the sound that the Fenders produce a little better than the Kustom amps. As a beginner , this is not a big deal though. I prefer the wheel type on the fender as I think they are a bit more durable than the types of wheels on the Kustom. Also , the Fender is a newer amp. Being a combo amp , it gives you a little less stuff to have to move around although the Fender might be a little heavier than the individual parts weight of the Kustom. If overall weight is a concern , the individual parts of the Kustom will each be lighter than the Fender.
    As stated by the previous posts , check both amps out before you buy them. Make sure there are no funny noises coming out of them and with the unit turned on and a bass plugged into it ,turn ALL the knobs and make sure there are no crackling noises when you do this. Funny noises when you turn the knob may indicate a bad pot on the amp. Note: sometimes just spinning the knob a few times will eliminate the scratchy noises. If this is the case , the problem is not serious and more than likely due to the fact that the amp has just been sitting for a while. Sometimes , this is an easy fix but sometimes the pot will need to be replaced. If there are any hissing , humming or crackling noises coming from the amp at any time ,it is probably best to walk away from the deal. This is especially important with the Kustom amp as is is older. Good luck and have fun with your new hobby.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  12. mc900ftj

mc900ftj Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Like low places said, I had this head with the matching 215 cab back in 81/82...Gigged, no micing, outdoor gigs included. Served me well back then...Would probably be OK for practice nowadays. If it works well. :)

lowplaces likes this.