Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom...good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    For some reason, I always had the opinion that Kustom amps were pretty much trash, probably because I'd never even seen one that was more than 10 watts before.

I've gotta say, my faith was pretty shaken up when I played a Corvette Double-Buck through one of the new Kustom Groove Bass (?) heads through the corresponding (massive) cab. I'm not sure, might've been a 4 or 6x10? All I recall was that it was big, and sounded huge. I have seriously never heard a better, fatter tone. Sounded good for solo pursuits, sure, but it was just begging for me to eschew my usual musical situations and start jamming along to rock and 70's funk. I had everything set flat, and it had exactly the kind of tone I look for in an electric.

Any thoughts on this amp? Am I completely crazy? Did I somehow land on a complete fluke, or is Kustom really that good?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No you are not crazy and these truly are great amps. They came on the scene the summer of 04. I got mine in very early 05. Great tone, tons of power, killer looks, great built quality. All of the magazine reviews are VERY favorable as well. Other Tber's here have signed up and got one also. The ONLY reason that I let mine go is that I have severe back probs and with the head racked with my tuner, power conditioner, etc, it was 55ish lbs. By itself the head is 31 lbs (not bad). For the money, you cannot beat these. Do a search here and you will find that there is a place selling them for $465 shipped.

As for the cabs, I'd look elsewhere. THe Kustom cabs are good, but not great. You can do better with Avatar cabs (avatarspeakers.com). Good luck!

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've had a Kustom Groovebass for about 6 months now and it's been great. They have a great warm sound, lots of power, flexible EQ, and fine aesthetics -- all at a killer price. For my needs, it's the budget head

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I played through one for the first time in a backline situation last night. It was a 2X10" combo and although it didn't knock my socks off or anything, it was entirely adequate and sounded decent for what it was. Since I was expecting to hate it, I'd say it did pretty well.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah, like I said above, their cabs are nothing special and you were prob hearing more of the cab than the head. The head rocks paired up with a better cab/s especially when running at 4 or 2 ohms...