Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groove 1200/Amp class question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave, Jun 18, 2005.

1. I have been rethinking the whole rackmount rig thing, so I decided to do some research on the beloved Kustom. While looking at the product manual, I saw that it has a Class B amplifier. Being the inquisitive person I am, I decided to look up what that is.

Heres what I found from the Euphonic Audio website:

CLASS 'B'

A true Class B amplifier is NOT generally used for audio, due in part that in a Class B amplifier, there is a small part of the waveform, which will be distorted. The distorted part of the waveform is called 'crossover' or 'notch' distortion. Remember that distortion is any unwanted variation in a signal (compared to the original signal).

This doesn't seem right. Many of you guys have this amp and say it performs beautifully. What gives with this description of class B amps? Is it slightly off or is the Kustom not a "true" class B amplifier. Or does this give the Kustom a kind of gritty, overdriven sound?

Hopefully someone can help me, as I am considering as one of my options to completely sell my current rig and get a Schroeder 1212 Airhead (built-in rack for those who haven't seen this new option) and mount a Kustom Groove head in it to have a powerful, faily lightweight and compact rig.

Thanks to all who can help,

Dave

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its true; I generally attribute the extra warmpth compared to other all SS heads to the class B power amp. Try before you buy. It may sound good to your ears; it sounded decent to mine.

3. So this isnt necessarily a bad thing, it just gives it a different sound?

BTW, what do you think of the Kustom/Schroeder idea?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most amps are class AB, I guess the Kustom is too.

5. ...for a second there, i thought you were going to sell th kustom. i was about to call dibs on it.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Kustom is 100% class B, but I need to know what you are going to play before I can recommend anything.

7. Im in an 3 piece band (me,drums and guitar). We do some praise and worship style stuff, some of my guitarist' original stuff (think kind of contemporary rock stuff, the closest thing that comes to mind is what 3 Doors Down would sound like if they played an acoustic gig), and some classic rock. I also will lead a contemporay worship service at my church on saturday nights.

8. If it helps, I now have a Ampeg SVP-CL pre into a RMX 850 into a GK 112 Neo and I like the sound of this rig, it sits well with our music.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For just about the same price (maybe $100 more after being retubed but more on that in a sec) you can get a Traynor YBA-200, which is a 200 watter all tube monster which would be just about perfect for what you play. However, you will need to get some new tubes because the stock ones suck. However, its not a rackmountable piece. If it must be racked, the Kustom is the best you will get new for your style. Used, I think there is an Ampeg preamp on the classifieds on this site, and you can just get a power amp to go with it in a rack.

10. Ive got an Ampeg pre and power amp setup now, Im looking to get something smaller/lighter.

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want something lighter, check out some class D power amps. I think Yamaha makes one (?) and that would probabally sound better than the Kustom.

12. I think what my plan for the future is to get one of the Schroeder cabs with the rack spaces in the top, so as long as its a all in one bass head (not all tubes) it will be ligter and easier to move around since it will be in one package. So as long as the head isnt totally unreasonable in weight, say less than 35 pounds, its fine to me.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Stick the class D and the preamp into the rack. Class D amps usually don't take more than 1 rack space.

14. I have thought about this, but they arent that cheap really, and money is kinda tight for me (still in high school and having to pay for the stuff myself)

15. If I could pick up a Stewart for cheap, Id do it in a heartbeat.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    But if you can keep that preamp that you already have, will the class D be any more expensive than a new head altogether?

17. Good point. Im not totally sure since I dont know how much I can get for my current power amp. Its a QSC RMX 850, very lightly used and only about 2 months old.

18. If I do the whole new head thing, Id be selling the pre too, so just a rough guess I would think I could get maybe 650 for both together.

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you have been satisfied with QSC, you can get the cheapest PLX model (1200 watts, 21 lbs, 2 racspace) for $600, I'm not sure what Stewarts run, I think the Crown XS is a class D, which can be had at about $600. Which cab are you using right now?

20. Right now im going into one of those new Gallien Krueger 1x12 Neo cabs, but the cabs just a bit sterile sounding to me, s Im looking to change it.