Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groove 1200 + which cabs to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I am new to the bassworld... and this is my first 'real' rig. I have already decided on the Kustom Groove bass 1200 head, because I got such a sweet deal on it. I was plannin' on getting the Avatar 2x12 Neo now & the 2x10 Neo later.... but which ohm version should I get?

Dave at Avatar said to get both cabs in 4 ohms for the most power consumption... but, would I be better off with 8 ohm cabs for any reason? I am very new to the ohm/cab decision making process.

OR -- if you think I would be better off with another cab, tell me what to do & where to go. I play 'jam' oriented rock & roll... lil bit funky at times.

thanks! henry

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You'd be better with 8 ohms if you think you'll be using the cabs with heads other than your groovebass. Most heads can't go down to 2 ohms, the Kustom can.

If you are only planning on sticking with the Kustom you'll be best with 2 4ohm cabs for a total load of 2 ohms.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya go with 2 8ohm cabs, the groove bass will put out 750 watts into 4 ohms, and if you need to, you can add another 4 ohm cab to get the full 1200 watts out of it, but that would probably be if you were playing huge gigs.

and good choice with the avatar's!

-Rob

4. i would go with 8ohm cabs as well... just in case you don't end up using the kustom forever.

but even at a total of 4ohms (2 x 8ohms) the groovebass has a ton of power.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Agreed! It's soooo fricken loud even at 4 ohms total!

[​IMG]

6. Thanks for the support, looks like Avatar cabs are the best way for me to go. Should I go with the Neo? What about the 2x12 Delta LF cabs? Or the 2x10 Delta, and the Kappa Pros?

What are going to be the biggest differences in these cabs? I know the Neo cabs are a little bit lighter, but what is different tone wise?

thanks, henry

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great choice on the GrooveBass head!! I have one and I'm running into an Avatar 210 NEO which will be mated to a 212 in the next few weeks.

I haven't a/b'd the NEO's vs. Deltas vs. Kappas tone wise (since Avatar is a mail order company), but you shave off anywhere from 11-18 pounds or so in the weight department, which can make a huge difference if you have to neogiate tight spaces or lots of stairs. The difference in wattage is another story. The information that follows is from the Eminence website for wattage per 12" driver:

NEO - 300 watts
    Delta 400 watts
    Kappa 500 watts

So, the question is, do you want a light cab that can handle 600 watts, a medium weight cab that does 800, or a heavier cab that can handle 1000???

As for ohms, I'm a little different than most of the posters here.

I figure that if I'm ever in a situation where I'll need to haul 3 8 ohm cabs to pull all 1200 watts out of my GrooveBass, I'm using a DI and going thru the PA. The flip side is that a 212 will work very well for 80% of my gigs, and I can add the 210 if I need more thunder.

My recommendation is for the 4 ohm cabs...there are tons of heads that can go down to 2 ohms if you ever get decide to get rid of the Kustom (but why would you???? :eek: :confused: )

8. personally, I'm thinking about getting the cabs that actually go with it when I get mine (hopefully next weekend) :hyper:

I put up a thread about people ignoring their cabs, which to me seems stupid as they're actually made for the amp - and so will work fine wthout blowing (even if you need 4 of their cabs to get the full 1200 watts) Just imagine the size of your rig if you had :

1 Groove 1200 head
    2 4x10 cabs and
    2 2x15 cabs

That should give you the 2 ohms and the 1200 watts, out of 12 bloody loud speakers... - OK, U'D NEED YOUR OWN VAN TO MOVE THE WHOLE THING AROUND (which is VERY unlikely as 1200 watts out of 12 speakers is a helluva lot...) - IMAGINE IT THOUGH - IT'D BE GREAT ONSTAGE!!!!!!

:) :) :) :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

9. No doubt, VERY cool on stage... but, for the real world. I have a back that is in ok shape right now & I don't have a mega-rock star contract with the hippest chiropractor in town..... which leads me to look for "LIGHT" alternatives in the cabinet world.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just saw a blues act here in OKC on Friday night where the bassist was running his kustom 1200 through a hartke 4.5xl. He had a nice punchy blues/rock tone. I remember not seeing a DI box or noticing a mic cable running from the rig, so it may or may not have been handling FOH (this was a blues band so not insane volume levels).

11. I am running my Groovebass into 2 (8 Ohm) Eden D112XLT cabs at the moment.

I just ordered an (4 Ohm) Eden D210XST to go with them.

It should be smokin'. :hyper: :bassist:

12. I got the cab in yesterday......OMG

Kinda reminds me of Back To The Future...lol

:hyper: :D :bassist:

13. I just spoke directly with Avatar about this (not Dave) and here is what they advised me to go with.

2x12 Delta
    2x10 Kappa Pro

I was told that 95% of why the 2x12 Neo was introduced was to help eliminate weight. And that the Neo is a more fragile speaker. He also thought the 2x12 Delta had a better overall tone & better low-end response.

The 2x10 advice was for the Kappa Pro. Again, the Neo only helps with weight & is a more fragile speaker. He told me that the Kappa 2x10 would have more punch than either the Neo or the Delta.

I just wanted to drop this in here & see what everyone has to say. I still feel totally lost in the amp buying process, but I am 1 step closer because my Groove Bass 1200 just arrived. How can I benefit from the 3 toggles labeled SUB, SHIFT, and DEFINE??? I looked at the manual, but it is a few pages short of any definitions.

Thanks, henry

14. normal/sub :When this switch is set to Normal, the
    frequency is centered at 100Hz. When this
    switch is set to Sub, the frequency is
    centered at 50Hz.

normal/shift :When this switch is set to Normal, the
    frequency is centered at 800Hz. When this
    switch is set to Shift, the frequency is
    centered at 400Hz.

normal/define :When this switch is set to Normal, the
    frequency is centered at 3KHz. When this
    switch is set to Define, the frequency
    is centered at 5KHz

sounds pretty straight forward to me.............. :cool:

15. I am still new to the bass world & am used to a guitarist's point of view with Gain, and MORE gain.... and maybe a bass/mid/treble.

What does this actually mean in "stupid/simple" terms?

How will it affect the controls beneath the 3 toggles?

sorry, if I am asking too much of an entry question - but, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

thanks, henry

16. the knob below this switch will cut or boost the signal at these frequencies...50Hz is lower(bassier) than 100Hz

the knob below this switch will cut or boost the signal at these frequencies...400Hz is lower(low mid) than 800Hz(high mids)

the knob below this switch will cut or boost the signal at these frequencies...3Khz is lower(less treble) than 5Khz(more treble)

roughly speaking that is........ :)

17. jp1994 - thanks, that helped make it a lil' bit more understandable.

I pulled the trigger today on an Avatar 2x10 Kappa Pro, 4 ohm. I will probably get the 2x12 Delta 4 ohm at a later date... the 2x10 should be all I need right now.

thanks for the help everyone. This is a VERY informative forum.

;) henry

18. The2x12 would have been probably better as a stand alone, but you should have enough volume anyway.

19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had a similar dilemma a few months ago.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169670

I went with the two 4 ohm cabs - SB112 and B210 Delta. They are VERY loud w my Hartke. Played an outdoor gig a month ago and never had to turn above 4 with no PA support. :cool:

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1....a 212 in any configuration is a better choice as a standalone cab