Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom groove 1200!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hondo8671, Apr 15, 2005.

1. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    just got it ! hooked it up ! man this thing JAMS!! im playing it thru a Yorkville 1510 cab. 2/tens 1/15 . sounds good! plus i can dial up all sorts of tone! great punch!! im very happy with this setup!maybe later i will try one of the 4/10 groove cabs.
    have any of you played the new groove cabs? ;)

2. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    Is that the one that they just reviewed inBass Guitar? It sounds like it's friggin sweet.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    *shhhhhhhhhhhhh....*

keep it down.

otherwise, Quadzilla will show up with the toldya-so's!

;)

congrats!

4. congrats...I got mine 2 weeks ago.
    Tomorrow night is my first gig with it.

They rock , don't they!!!!! :bassist:

jp1994

5. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    you bet! and plenty of power!!!! :eek:

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty tempted.

I'll be buying a new amp with the next few months-worth of gig earnings, and the GB price is right around where I was thinking my budget is. ..But feature-wise at least, it's more amp than I thought I'd be able to afford!

Joe

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    its a good amp at a good price ! plus its (Kustom) they been around for a long time! trust me i can remember setting in the park watching a band when i was about 12 years old and they were jamming on a song from and the bass player was jamming with a Kustom rig!!! this was about 30 years ago!
    yes i guess im almost a oldtimer!! ha! ha! :crying:

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Spec wise, those 4x10s seem like a big dissapointment...

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You already said it for me! :D $$$ to watt and tone ratio for this head can't be beat for a new head period!

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Agreed, I heard that the Kustom 4x10 is not a great cab but I also hear that the Kustom 2x15 rocks. I'll stick with Avatar for cabs... Bottom line, the head freakin rocks (just ask Freakbass)!

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1

Go get an Avatar 410 NEO @ 4 ohms...800 watts from the GB1200!

12. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    This head is quite badass. I love mine to death. I plan on getting a 410 to go with my 212 with it eventually, but I just got it racked, so now I have to get all my rack gear

13. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Even the 2x15 doesn't seem all that great, it's got a nice freq response but seems to lack efficiency.

I'm seriously considering this head, for $900 CAD there seems to be no competition...

14. I've been reading nothing but good reviews of this amp and feel some GAS setting in. I've looked at Kustom's site for specs, but they don't list the weight. So, can someone tell me how much this head weighs?
    PS: my brother still has an original "rolled and pleated" stack from the late 60's. Just like on the cover of CCR's Cosmos Factory.

15. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    about 40 lbs. its a little heavy! but it is very sturdy!! not made cheap! made like a tank!!!!! :cool:

16. Kustom GROOVE BASS Amplifier Specifications

Input Impedance: 200K Ohms
    Output Power:
    450 Watts 8 Ohms @ 5% THD
    750 Watts 4 Ohms @ 5% THD
    1200 Watts 2 Ohms @ 5% THD
    Frequency Response: 20HZ-20kHz (Actual response is tailored to speakers for accurate acoustical response using a bass guitar as input.)
    Hum & Noise: -60db Residual Noise, all level controls 0% (minimum)
    System Gain (All measurements taken with 1 KHz input signal, Tone controls flat, Gain and Volume Maximum. Measured at effects send output jacks on rear unless noted.):
    27db Preamp output
    15db Preamp output, Active
    25db Tuner output
    27db Direct output
    32db Power amp gain
    Amplifier Type: Class B. Descrete device Class B amplifier
    Footswitch: Any non-momentary two-button foot switch can be used. Use any standard tip-ring-sleeve cable.
    Power Requirements: 120VAC/60Hz, 1500W nominal
    Dimensions: 3.5 (Height) x 19 (Width) x 15.5 (Depth) (89 x 483 x 390 mm)
    Weight: 31 lbs (14 kg)

17. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I opened mine up and the cooling structure is very neat. There's a tunnel-of-a-heatsink that the fan blows through from the back. It's hard to explain, but mighty cool, and worth a look as it's so easy to get the screws out and top cover off.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm thinking of trying one.. the 5% THD kind of puts me off though. Not sure if I should get a power amp for the warwick or try one.. Still keeping my eye out for a used Mesa though..

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I used to use a Kustom 215 (one of the new series ones) and it was good as a sub cab, but it did eat up watts. It is not good as a stand alone cab though.

20. I'm not sure about the newer models, but I played a friend's older model 2x15 and it was the coolest 2x15 I've ever played. The coolest looking cab I've ever seen, too. :D