Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groove at home and Cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WarThumb, Dec 15, 2005.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Hi.

I'm looking to buy a home/gig amp, and got in touch with a guy with a Custom Groove 1200 bass head.
    First, is this to powerful to use at home?

Second: He ha offered me differen cabs., same price.
    A Warwick 2x10 or a Hartke Transporter 4x10 (alu speakers). What du you think of these cabs?

:bassist:

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    1) The Kustom has plenty of power
    2) The Warwick is far superior sounding. The Hartke paper speakers are at least somewhat decent; the aluminum ones just suck.
    You may want to consider getting a 15" cab to put the 210 on top of for bigger gigs.

3. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Right.
    what about the Kustom at home, is it too powerful or is it good also at low volumes?

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    The Kustom sounds good at lower volumes. I use mine through the Kustom 410H (which I need to sell).
    The house lights will dim when you flip the swith on that head!

5. You would do well to try the speakers yourself.

Although one poster thought hartke's aluminum speakers "suck", the fact is that that company made its name on selling those very aluminum coned speakers.

So apparently somebody thinks they don't suck - it just depends on your definition of good.

Having said that, the transporter is ( I think) their "lower end" product so it is probably not as good as others.

6. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Now I found out he also have two Carwin cabs. One 2x10 and one 1x15. I might not get to test them before i buy, but with these many options I probably should..
    I've always played with backline, so this will be my first rig. I don't know what i want. I play all styles.
    When it comes to qualtity and allroundness (?), any difference between Carwin, Hartke and Warwick?

7. If it's possible try the cabs and amp (preferably with your bass/basses and effects). This is the only way to understand how YOU will hear the difference between them. Good luck!

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1 on avoiding the Hartke, but that's just my preference. Yours may be different.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Hartkes are subjective, I'm not particularly happy with my transporter though, the sound is often harsh and I have to tweak very hard to get the sound I want. I will be replacing it with a tech soundsystems cab within the next few years (funds permitting).

10. The Groove is really for gigs rather than practice...try the Kustom KBA 16 - its a nice "home" amp with GREAT tone...

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    To me, home amps and gig amps are the same thing. Something to amplify your instrument. The Groove Bass may be 1200 watts but remember you still have a volume knob. A portable amp, now that's something different.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    See if you can get the Warwick 210 and set it on top of the Carvin 115. Carvin makes good electronics, but I am not a big fan of the cabs.