Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groove Bass 12 HD Tone Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghostintheruins, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Upon doing a forum search for the Kustom Groove Bass 1200 HD amp, I've noticed that a lot of you have one and love it. I am in the same boat, except that I have just gotten mine and haven't exactly found the right settings for THE perfect full and punchy tone.

Right now, I have it connected to one Carvin RL410T cab, and I have a Boss ME-50B processor between a Carvin BB70 bass and the Groove Bass 1200 HD.

I have the ME-50B because I need a wide range of tones for this band, including some really good distortion sounds, otherwise, I would go completely without effects.

Any suggestions?

And thank you in advance. >:}

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Are you running the ME-50B (bass -> effect->amp) before the amp or through the effects send and receive?

3. Yes, between the bass and the amp.

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Well, Carvin cabs...:bag:

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Try running the bass direct to the amp. Then run a cord from your effects send of your amp to your pedal input and run a cord from the pedals send to the effects return/receive of the amp. You can then blend your straight signal with the effects.

FWIW I get great tone from a carvin 2-10. Its stellar for smaller gigs, church and practices. It aint the wand its the wizard.

6. The Carvin cabs sounded great with the R1000. I agree, to some extent. It's not the wand, it's the wizard. That's an awesome way of putting it.

I will be replacing my cabs when I can afford it, which will probably be a while.

It always takes a while for me to get a new piece of equiptment to be "just right" in tone. On top of great tone by itself, it has to be great with the rest of the band, too. That takes time. >:}

I'll try running through the effects loop. It's going to be tricky now that I have fixed my wireless transmitter.

7. Ok, I tried using the effects loop, and I can't blend the signal at all. There isn't any difference between that and running it in between the bass and the amp.

I'm going to spend some time with my guitar player and my rig before rehearsal tomorrow night, so I'll just see what he can do with it. :(

8. Warlock626

Warlock626

Feb 6, 2008
    Hey there,

Whenever you connect something to the "effect loop", automatically will bypass the tone knobs and including the EQ, the only thing you would be able to operate is the Master Volume. Honestly if you want punch and bad ass bass tones, try to save some money and get a Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver D.I. I use it all the time and I am pleased by it, but also Paul Romanko of Shadows Fall and Paolo Gregoletto from Trivium use them (rackmount versions though called "RBI"). What I do is I have my Ibanez SRX 4EX1 connected to the INPUT of the Tech21 SansAmp and the the OTPUT of the Tech21 SansAmp goes into the "Return" jack of the effects loop. The only thing I could use is the Master Volume, but If I have to plug it into the front panel, I set everything FLAT and ONLY use the bass knobs and/or increase the low frequencies to create my earth-rumbling lows but without sacrificing my Tech21 SansAmp.

Peace and good luck with tones cuz its hard to find,n and keep it up with your band
    Warlock626

9. Kepp your effects between the bass and amp. Set all the eq's flat. Plug in your bass and set your pedal to your basic setting. (you CLEAN sound) Now, adjust the eq as needed to suit your ears.

I like to pump the bass as this amp is very "modern" sounding and I like a more classic tone.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your right. Many amps have have the feature of a effects blend knob. According to your amps manual, yours doesn't:
    http://www.kustommail.com/Content/20082/OwnersManual_Groove1200.pdf

Some external effects devices also have this blend feature to add an adjustable amount of unaffected signal.
    (I'm not sure if yours does or not)

You may not have spent enough time fiddling with everything yet, but there is.
    With the loop method, the FX units input has already been altered by your amps gain/tone knob and eq settings.

When you connect your FX unit between your bass and the amps normal front input, your just feeding it directly with your basses output.
    For serveral reasons, different amp/FX-unit combinations sometimes work much better with one or the other connection method, so try both ways and see what works out best for you.

Many amp/external FX-device combinations end up developing less undesirable noise or static when used in the loop. So its sometimes (but not always) the preferred method for this reason alone.

I think you actually meant to say "effects return" in your first sentence.
    Using both the send and receive (as a loop) doesn't usually disable anything.`