Kustom Groove Bass 1200.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg Jones, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Is this too good to be true? .50/Watt?!?!?!?!

What's the longest a TB'er has owned one and have you gigged it a lot? Obviously wondering about reliability.

Those are same damned impressive specs for 600 bones!!
  2. I got one for $399 as a B unit from an online dealer. I have had it since May & it hasn't let me down in any shape, fashion, or form. In fact - I bought a tube head & this has become and will be my #1 backup. More power than you can shake a stick at & priced great too!

I have gigged mine almost every weekend since I got it.... and plenty of band practices during the week. Solid & full of great tone.
  3. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Thanks Henry! Wonderin' why you bought the tube head though. The GB not quite getting the tone you want?

I gotta get out and try one. Hope I can find one locally. Guitar Denter carry these?
  4. Not sure but you could buy one from Zzounds or Musician's Friend and have 45 days to try it. They all seem to be offering free shipping so all it would cost you would be return shipping if it didn't float your boat. Thinking of doing that very thing myself...
  5. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    That's true Scotius. I think even AMS offers a return policy, plus the EZ pay plan! I've taken advantage of that in the past.

I'm still checkin' out amps. I've got a 'short' list now. I think.

6. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    ive had the groovebass 1200 for about 180 days with no problems at all! good head and great tone! i had a tube head before but it just wasnt the tone i was looking for. with the Kustom head i can get just about any tone i need.
    great head for the price! compare it with the other heads and get the one you like!!! its your$$$$$ :D
  7. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO

Well, I haven't actually played any of the heads on my list but I'm REALLY liking the Kustom just based on value.

A cost per watt breakdown of the heads I'm looking is as such:

Ashdown ABM500 Evo II Magnifier $1.57/watt

Kustom Groove Bass 1200 Bass Amp $0.75/watt (used pwr at 4 ohms to be consistent.)

Eden Nemesis NA650 Bass Amp $1.52/watt (used pwr at 4 ohms to be consistent.)

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro $2.00/watt

Ampeg SVT-6 Pro $1.09/watt

Interesting. The SVT-3 Pro is the worst value from a pure cost/watt standpoint. Plus the reviews I've read here don't help it's case. The SVT -6 Pro is the second best though. Of course there's features and weight to consider. Most importantly sound. I used to play Ampeg, but didn't gig it much. Sounded great though. <shrug> It was a B2R combo. No ext cab so I was pushing 200W is all.
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    just remember that the kustom runs 1200@2 ohms and 800@4 ohms.

that is still plenty of power at 4 ohms.
  9. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO

I had a Carvin stack once. In '93-'94 I think. It was okay. Reliable, loud, a bit sterile sounding IIRC. Read the BP review on this new one. They seem to like it okay.
  10. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've found that if you put a tube pre in your signal path into the head(presonus tube pre here) it really warms up the already warmer than usual SS sound and almost gets it to a Mesa M-pulse type of sound.
  11. I still have my Kustom & have ZERO intentions of getting rid of it. I got a tube head because I found a good deal. I got my Peavey Classic 400 from Musician's Friend, brand new for $599. 400 watts of PURE TUBE power in any form under a grand is good... but this.... well, the amp speaks for itself.
  12. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Ah!!! Congrats on that Peavey!!! Makes perfect sense to me now. Wouldn't mind scoring one of those myself someday. Great price you got!
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I own a B1500, and I like it quite a bit better than OK. A major step up from the old RedLines IMO.
  14. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Thanks for the info. My stack pre-dated the Redline series I believe. I think it was the Pro Bass 500 head with a 4x10 and a 1x15. Biamped. It was decent. I'm thinking on that B1500 though. Lots of power there!!!
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I owned a second hand Groove Bass 1200 for a while, and I am very impressed with this unit for the money. It didn't make me want to go out and get rid of some much more expensive heads, but I felt that it held its own quite well, considering its price, and I also felt that it has a very good "inherent" tone (all controls set flat), which I think is important.

16. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Thanks Tom!!!

Agree completely on the inherent tone point.
  17. This is one of the first posts I've read saying much about the tone of the amp. Everybody seems to concentrate on the $/watt and if they mention tone, it is only in passing. Thanks Tom.
  18. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've owned a Groovebass for about 8 months now, and it's just a great value. The tone is definitely one of the strongest points of this amp, and I'd say that the weakest is the somewhat noisy preamp, but there are ways of dealing with this problem. Solid construction feel, good aesthetics, warm tone, flexible EQ, and a strong power amp make the Groovebass exceptional at $500-600 new.

If the Groovebass is in your budget (and not below it), then I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.
  19. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    400-500 new? Really?

Every online dealer I've seen has it priced at 599. Still a good value I think, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Do tell please.

...and thanks for the honest report. First I've heard of the noisy preamp. How do you deal with this? EQ? Gain?