Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groove Bass or comparable eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Sep 5, 2005.

1. From everything I've read, the Kustom sounds like a great amp. On ebay I've seen a few used Edens go for about the price of a new Kustom GB. I definately don't need the full wattage of the GB but I can't say that I would complain to have it. My question is will the Groove Bass be better than a comparable used eden as far as tone goes? I'll be mainly using it for Pop/rock and maybe every once in a while a little metal. The cabinets I am using are (1) SWR on of Bertha and (1) Goliath Jr. III. I have almost got my sound figured out, it's just coming down to this amp choice. Also if there is an amp that is better than Eden or Kustom (but below the $500 price point), please let me know about it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Tone is very subjective. I personally do not like the Kustom tone, it sounds rather sterile and a bit hissy to me, and on the other hand I love Edens. Eden would be just about my first choice of a hybrid amp. However, also look at the Traynor YBA-200, as its also in that price range.

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    groove bass. get it. now.

4. I defiantely don't want "hiss." That will bother me and make me hate an amp quicker than anything. Somehow, I've completely overlooked the Traynor. Is it comparable in sound to anything else out there? I used to have a vintage bass master and thought it was alright, but too fragile.

What do you think about nemesis? I just found a 300 watt nemesis that isn't very expensive at all. Also which eden heads do you like? I'm mainly looking at a 300 watt time traveler.

again thanks

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    A Bass Master is fragile!?!?! :confused:

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Traynor YBA is great for vintage tube tone. For the styles you will be playing, I think it would be a great choice. These run at about $600 mind you, a tad more expensive than the Kustom. But I think they are worth it. They can get tons of overdrive with the stock tubes, or you can change the tubes to get a bit more clean tone. This is not a slapping amp, but for just about anything else its got big fat tone galore. I wouldn't call this amp fragile, but it is all tube and needs to be treated with care. I havn't played one of the Nemisis models, but the Eden hybrid heads are very awesome. They can be clean and very warm, and they would be my first (maybe second next to the Aggie DB 750) choice for a hybrid head. Of course my favorite Eden used to be the WT 800 (next to the VT-300), but the 1205 is coming out. For a budget, look used. A Time Traveler head would be a great choice as well. Also, the Eden is a good deal lighter than the YBA. Another good line of amps to look at are the Yorkville series. The 400 and 800 are very good amps, which I think sound great for just about any sound.

7. I have the Eden WT330 Time Traveller (with 210XST). I like it a lot - very clean, smooth sound that brings out my bass' character. EQ is very powerful, with well chosen mid frequencies (this model doesn't have the classic Eden parametric). The 'Warm' switch is a bonus - provides a very controllable amount of smooth tubey overdrive.
    I compared this amp (all solid state) with a WT400 (tube preamp) and decided the 330 actually had a 'warmer' sound, plus there was no way I could get that smooth overdrive from the tube preamp. I think the solid state preamp is a little quieter as well (tubes generally create more hiss, especially in Ashdowns). The 'low boost' switch is handy too - I use it in small gigs to get a big sound at low volume.

Prior to this amp I had a Nemesis 210 combo for years. Still very Eden sound, maybe a bit smoother 'vintage' sort of tone, not quite as much mid-range detail. But very reliable no matter how hard I worked it and it had Eden's lovely extended lows. The new 410 and 212 seem to be even better.

8. I completely destroyed one once.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Were you being careful? (My 7-year-old daughter just hates that.)

10. not at all, my 8x10 took a crash with this amp on top.
    It really didnt' sound that amazing though. It could be because mine was modified to 90 watts instead of 50 though.

11. I'm surprised I haven't heard a great argument for the Groove Bass yet.