Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groove Bass vs. Carvin R1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aortizjr, Apr 6, 2005.

1. aortizjr

aortizjr

Apr 6, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hi...

I am looking at upgrading my rig. I have a lot of interest in the Kustom Groove Bass 1200 amp head.

Do you think it would be an upgrade from my Carvin R1000 (first series)?

Are there other heads I should consider in the $500 - $700 price range?

My Carvin clips really early and is tearing my speakers up with the clipping. Plus it is barely powerful enough in my current band (Metal).

But I have read that the Carvin's, even though they say 1000 Watts a 4 Ohms (what I am running), that they clip early and are more like a 300 Watt amp.

Input?

BTW- Cabs are: Avatar 212B and Crate 1x15 Pro Series with a new Peavey Black Widow 15".

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I was in the same boat, between the Kustom and the Carvin.

I went with the Kustom, and I DONT regret it

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Was also in the same boat a few months or so ago. I'm soooo glad I went with the Kustom over the Carvin or anything else in that price range for that matter! I spent MANY-a-night researching the best head for $500 - $700 and the Kustom beat em all. I even A/Bed the Kustom to other heads at the music store and then at my home (the dealer let me borrow a couple). No comparo... Go with the Kustom man!

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi Sutton, Quad...fancy seeing you here (heh, heh).

I'll strongly second the Groove Bass 1200 recommendation!!! I was in the same boat until I tried one in the store (based on on positive feedback from Quad and Suton). Blew me away with clarity of tone and it really handled my B string (I was running thru a 2x12).

It'll be sitting in my house in May!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

5. definitely...Kustom Groovebass!!!
    Just got mine (along with 2 eden d112xlt cabs)

Thanks Quadzilla!!!

OMG :bassist: :bassist:

This thing rocks and the tone.... :D

My next gig is on the 16th.
    I will report more after that.

6. Quadzilla

I told you that head was a SERIOUS tone monster didn't I?!?!?! Better tone than all of my previous heads including my Carvin, Trace Elliot, SWR, Hartke, etc... Love da Kustom!

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I still gotta drag myself down to your place and hear that head Quad. I also want to know how the 212B and 210 Avatars handle my bass now that my band is moving to D tuning and I'm going down to A.

8. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I heard the new Carvin B1500 will blow away the old redline series. Might want to consider that as an option too.

9. aortizjr

aortizjr

Apr 6, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    I looked at the new Carvins... they are bigger though and I only have 2 rack spaces to play with.

Also... what do you guys think of the Yorkville XS400H?

I just saw that while looking around some. How does that compare to the Kustom?

10. Quadzilla

Errr, not even close. Maybe the newer Yorkie 800 may be in the same league, or close.... Not sure if it will go down to 2 ohms like the Kustom will though plus I believe that it's 3 rack spaces where-as the Kustom is only 2. Telling you, I and others have been EXACTLY where you are recently and the Kustom won hands down. I explored ALL new options (I really didn't want to go used on an amp).

11. aortizjr

aortizjr

Apr 6, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Alright.. looks like I will be pulling the trigger on the Kustom. Thank you so much for all the info.

Now to consider a 4 Ohm 2x10 or something to get the impedance to 2 ohms and really get things cooking.

12. you won't regret it!! :hyper:

13. I now play an old Tube-head, and i'm looking for a a nice rocksound, with fingers and pic + a decent slap-sound.

Would i be disapointed by the Kustom?

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't play rock or w/ a pic...but I do slap and it's AWESOME....some serious booty shakin' lows. I'm sure you won't have any regrets... more endorsements are coming right behind me :D

15. Quadzilla

No way, No how! THis head is PERFECT for rock (that's what I play too). I'm a finger style guy and pick guy as well. I don't slap and pop much (I'm not that great at it) but when I do, this head sounds great doing that too!

16. Great... now may the money-saving begin

17. here's mine........

Hopefully I did it right!!!

18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice rig...and even nicer signature!! Are those 2 12's?

19. thanks...and thanks again.....
    yes 2 D112XLT's