Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

kustom groove vs. svt3pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Aug 18, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    im looking at both the kustom groove 1200 and the ampeg svt 3 pro, and i just wanted to know which of these amps is gonna be bettre for me. i have a ampeg svt 350h right now and i am pretty happy with the sound i get, but i wanted to get that warmer tube sound, and the svt3pro seemed to fit the bill. i have not been to try one out yet, but i will soon. but now i am finding out that i can get a real good warm sound similiar to that ampegs but with a ton more power. i definitly want to keep solid state power, but i can go either way with tube or ss pre amp. i dont think ill be able to play a kustom groove anywhere around here, so will it be just as good as a svt3pro but with tons more power? i can get either for around the same price.

i play slap/funk type stuff, (mostly flat EQ {thanks to recent advice from other TB'ers :smug: } but a slight boost in the lows and maybe a tad bit of highs). but i do also need to be able to get that matt freeman(ish) picking sound, i can get close to that now by only chaning the EQ on my bass.

so this is pretty much just asking how good the kustom groove is since im not gonna be able to play it personally, but i dont want to throw it out all together, becase it seems to be a pretty good head. thanks for any help

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    If you're playing a lot of slap with a bright/modern sound I'd suggest steering away from the 3pro. I had one that I thought was great with my 4 string jazz, which is an unusually dark sounding bass. When I bought a deluxe jazz 5, a much clearer, more modern sounding instrument, I noticed that the 3pro puts a furry sounding distortion on everything, even at low volume, eq flat, gain low, you name it. It's most noticable above the 12th fret but once you get familiar with it you hear it everywhere. I retubed it, no change. I took it to two different repair shops, they both told me there was nothing wrong with it. One said he could see the distortion on his 'scope, but that it was working as designed. So I went to a dealer and plugged into 2 brand new 3pro's (with the shop's basses & cabs) and they were actually worse than mine! I sold it and bought a classic head, which has a much cleaner and clearer top end, no trace of the distortion that bugged me so much with the 3pro. Not meaning to bash the 3pro, this is just my experience with it.

3. if i had to buy one of those w/o hearing em, i would go Kustom for sure.

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    You play what I play....slap/funk, and I SWEAR by my GrooveBass 1200. I'm able to dial up warm, thick, funky bass while still being able to punch thru my guitarist's Marshall half stack, and the headroom is incredible!!! 1200 watts into 2 ohms??? C'mon...rarely do I have to turn up the master past 11:00. Add to that, the asthetics really compliment the tone. The look and feel is something that reeks of quality workmanship with solid feeling knobs and switches.

Seriously, there is not a better head for the money out there....a real no brainer , IMO

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I don't think anyone ever got fired for showing up with an Ampeg.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    uh, true....but usually crappy playing get you fired....among other things.

Ampeg is serious gear, no doubt, but head to head and all things considered, the GrooveBass is a better choice for the style of music softscrubmonkey plays.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I use my Groove Bass for rock (classic, modern, Indy, etc). If you click the link in my sig, you can hear the Groove Bass in action live...

8. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    well, i think its pretty obvious which is the bettre head for me. thanks for the input.