Kustom Groovebass 1200 vs. Gallien Krueger 1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, May 2, 2005.

1. I want to get something more professional than i have now (Austrovox Tube Head... sound good, but too heavy and not versatile AT ALL)

And i've been having a thing for the kustom groovebass. But then someone recomended me a G&K 1001RB and the specs are at least as impressive... i've played a 2002RB in a shop (/but not really tried it out, was just playing different bassguitars).

So wich one would you prefer? I like an alternative-rock bass-sound. A mixture between the swedish rockbands that are popular atm and rhcp and ratm.

I like to play with effects, i use fingers, pics and slapping and occasional tapping.
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, I've played on both of them, and I bought the Kustom Groove without thinking twice.....if that answers your question
  3. I haven't played through the 1001RB, but I have played the 700RB in a gig situation.

I now own the Kustom.......gotta love it. :bassist:
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

I haven't had a chance to try the GrooveBass.. but I chose a GK 700RBII. Just ordered one last Friday.

Everyone pretty-much knows that 'you can't go wrong' with GK, but around here it sounds like that GrooveBass head is climbin' all over the competition in the bang-for-the-buck catagory!

Maybe I made too conservative of a decision... I still bet I'll love my new GK though!

5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I really like GK amps, especially in band settings. But I havn't tried a Groove, so my opinion won't account for much.
  6. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I beg to differ but my only GK experience has been a Backline 115 the first year they came out so my GK experience has been soured pretty badly.

Groovebass looks like a great choice as well as a Peavey Firebass 700.

I recently lost most of my gear in a car fire and the GrooveBass seems to be the next amp I am leaning towards at the moment.
  7. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i havent played a kustom but ive heard they have warm lows for a solid state head and are somewhat tube like. i have played a few GK's and they are very tight, detailed, and punchy. lots of mids and highs that will cut thru the mix with ease. listen to flea's old stuff. he used gk heads thru boogie cabs.
  8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I did a mini shootout between the two heads when I was in the EXACT same position as you (looking to by one of those two heads). My dealer let me take them both home to try them out. Here is a copy of that review (the whole thread is linked in my sig below):

When I went to pick up my Kustom GB1200 that I ordered, I noticed that my local music shop also had a GK 1001RB II there. I said to the shop owner, hmmm, maybe I should try the GK before finalizing on the Kustom. He said asked me to pay for the Kustom, take them both home for a couple of nights, and if I like the GK better, I would just give him the difference (about $150).

Even though the GK was lighter (definatly a plus), I personally found the tone a lot more sterile that the Kustom. I tried them both on the same cabs. True, the GK seemed a bit louder under an 8 ohm load (1 - 8 ohm 2x10 cab). When I put them both under a 4 ohm load (an 8 ohm 2x10 and an 8 ohm 1x12) the Kustom was actually louder (strange huh, but true!). I did not have the oportunity to put them both on a 2 ohm load (not sure if the GK can do this but the Kustom can).

Anyway, I found the tone on the GK bright and "in your face". Very solid state sounding. Yes, you can get a bit of growl out of the GK with the gain knob, but that's all I could get, just a bit (another bass like a MM might help, I was using my P).

The Kustom was not quite as bright (but close) with the main up and the gain at 5 or 6. Enabliing the mid-shift and other EQ settings will help this. Now here is where things get different. When you crank the gain knob to just where the clipping light comes on and then back it off a hair, the Kustom gets nice and gritty! Almost SVTish. Very warm and gritty. This is the tone I've been looking for out of a solid state head (and I've owned a couple heads with tube pre-amps and could not get this).

Weight (nice and light)
    Nice bright, in your face tone (if that's your fancy)
    Has cross-over capabilities (but also a con, see below)

A little too bright for my taste (can't get a tube sound out of it)
    Reliability - a bunch of these series II have fried (do a search here and go look at harmony central reviews, lots of fried GK1001 II's there. To GK's credit, they do say that they know what the prob is and have fixed it and am willing to fix on users heads already out there. (update, Daniel from GK informed me that only a small number of 1001's were effected and that they have fixed most of them free of charge)
    Only goes down to 4 ohms minimum
    Has crossover capabilities but only works with GK cables and cabs. I don't know why GK would not allow you to do this with other brands of cabs (all other head manufactures allow for this). Total BS on this one IMHO!

Good solid state tone if you want it (not as quite as broight as the GK)
    Nice warm, gritty tone for a SS head (almost overdrivenish/tubish)
    Killer Looks (lots of polished and stainless steel, bright LEDs)
    Good bundle (includes 8 ft HEAVY DUTY Speakon cable and nice footswitch with solo boost and mute functions)
    Goes down to 2 ohms(woohoo )!!!

A little heavy for my tastes (31 lbs)
    No 1/4" speaker outs (Speakon outs only, but Hosa and other make Speakon to 1/4' adapters for pretty cheap and most newer cabs have speakon connectors anyway)
    New model, reliabilty unknown (only been out since early summer 04), but have yet to see any reports of failure on any forum, harmony central, etc.
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really? Hm - I guess I should have said 'can't go wrong with thier pro-stuff'?

Sheesh - I hope I made the right decision!
    What?!! Your bass too?

10. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Heck no I ran back into my Jimmy and grabbed it after it was on fire, that's my baby. My Aerodyne was made for one year so I wasn't going to let her burn up :D

My rack (Hartke 5000, Sabine rack tuner, and a Furman Power conditoner) as well as my Avatar 410 were locked in the back and I wasn't going to risk anything trying to fiddle with my keys to open up the back.
  11. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Thats terrible dude. And thats is exactly why I dont drive my blazer (basically chevy replica of a jimmy)
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'll bet you will, too. I dig the hell out of mine!
  13. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Doin more research with the replacement rig I am getting a Groove Bass 1200 and an Avatar 410 Pro would be about perfect and they natively connect as Dave has started to add Speakon connectors on the back as well.

I priced up a Bassman 1200 Pro which is similar but the Groove bass has just as many features as that amp at half the price. I just with you could also use it as a poweramp if needed but from what I am reading I won't be needing to use my Sunn Sorado as a pre.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    OK, I'm jumping in...I did a lot of comparison shopping when I went looking for my new professional amp (I'd been playing out of a Fender BXR 300C combo). 2 months and numerous trials later, I pulled the trigger on a GrooveBass. I've had it for 1 1/2 weeks and this is BY FAR the best head out there for the money I spent. GK has good gear, but it can't touch my Kustom in my opinion. I can't wait to get my other cab so I can rip it up with all 1200 watts!!!!\

You will not be sorry picking this head. Lots of us have 'em for good reason
  15. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i have had my groovebass 1200hd for about 3 weeks and i love it! this thing has a sweet tone!!!!it is a little heavy but its no big deal. you can put it in a 2 space rack case and move it around no problems! ive not played thru GK stuff but im sure they sound good to! :D
  16. Looks like the G&K stands no chance.

I'd (just for objectivism(?)) reasins) would love to read a comment of someone who chose a G&K 1001RB over a Kustom GB... maybe someone?
  17. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    You won't be disappointed...i got one for xmas and im loving it :cool: :bassist:
  18. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    One thing i'l point out, i've done it before, but I didn't check up on it (Sorry).

Is anyone else worried/sceptical about how Groove rated the amp? If you look, it's high watt ratings seem good, but it's at 5% THD.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, That's been addressed here in one of the threads. You can do a serach for the full-blown statement, but the Cliff notes version states that the THD is around 1%, not 5.
  20. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    What kind of problems had the 1001RB-II Head?