Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Groovebass troubles!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jp1994, Apr 23, 2005.

1. I just got this thing along with 2 Eden D112XLT's just over 2 weeks ago from American Musical Supply.

The Bad news:

Last night on my second gig with this rig,toward the end of our second set,the amp just shut off.

The amp was only at 10:00 o'clock on gain and master at 11:00 o'clock....no clipping,no other noises.

It tripped the built in breaker.

After a few minutes I reset it and turned it back on...it was obvious something was shorting and it popped the breaker again ,followed by a nice puff of smoke out of the back of the amp and some of the nastiest electrical smell.Dead now!!!! :crying:

The head wasn't even hot to the touch anywhere.
    Just a little warm.

The Good news: (under the circumstances)

Thank god for the DI line.

I called American Musical supply at 2:30 AM when I arrived home.
    No problem.
    New replacement head is being shipped on Monday along with a return shipping label.
    No charges....nothing.

Props to these guys for taking care of biz. :hyper:

Joe

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sorry to hear of your troubles... I was kind of waiting for this, but every company has a bad one here and there. Here's to awesome C.S. and speedy replacements.

Ray

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Ahh, and is the too good to be true potentional on the Gooves finally setting in?

4. i suppose that remains to be seen.

bummer about the head, but at least you're getting a replacement.

5. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I doubt it really. We have how many members that have this head and only one problem so far? Not to mention there are a lot of things that can go wrong when it comes to amp failure. It could have been a power problem with faulty wiring at the venue or just a rogue head with a problem...

If any other problems arise, then I will entertain the too good to be true ;)

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It's still a relativly new head as well, there's going to be bumps. I really doubt it's going to be a "too good to be true" situation. But as someone else said, we shall wait and see.

Ray

7. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Where are those things made anyway???

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I don't actually know, but if I had to venture a guess I'd say China.

Ray

9. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well I know that the company is now based out on Cincy and back in the day they were made in Kansas City. My money is on China as well... I'm sure one of the owners wouldn't mind informing us with an answer.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've had mine since the begining of Feb and no issues and use it all the time at high volumes. Others here have this head as well and this is the first issue I've heard of (including all reviews on Harmony Central).

Remember how many GK 1001 RB II's went up in smoke when they first came out (check here and Harmonyentral)??? A bunch. Given that this is the first and ONLY case I've heard of or seen on all the message boards and review web pages that I've seen, I'd say that's a pretty damn good track record!

I've seen everthing from Mesa Big Blocks, to EA's, to THunderfunks, GK's (like mentioned above), etc, etc frying here on TB. One and ONLY one report on the Kustom and all of a sudden it's a bad head or too good to be true? Puuuuuuuuleeeeeze, I think not!

I'd say the GB1200 track record is at least as good as any so far. Name ONE head that has NEVER had a single failure! The GB1200 is still a great value and I like that he called the place where he got it from and one is already on it's way to him.

11. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Great... but where is it made? :p

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Quad, it's also a pretty new head, so it still has pretty much zero time behind it to tell if it'll be a workhorse or no. I hope it does, just out of sake that for some people it'll be a heck of a deal (I personally think the thing sounded like crap when I gave one a spin). But I want to hear people who've had them for two years, not two months ;).

Ray

13. 1) No need to start the shelling so quickly...the man complained about gear failing during a show. Frankly, I'm surprised he was so polite about it.

2) The "too good to be true" comment was, in my opinion, an indication that the head seems to have a lot going for it on paper. This particular poster was wondering if this was the chink in the armour. Again, no need to load the howitzer.

3) Using another company's purported reliability problems is no way to defend a product.

4) You're pretty irritated that jp1994 has reported a problem, but you referenced similar actions as a credible indicator of reliability for another manufacturer's products. Why?

5) Give me a frickin' break.

Mike

14. Not to be a bitch, but yeah Quadzilla, I think you're a bit too hardcore of a Groove Bass endorser.

Having that said, lets not flame anyone. No "give me a frickin' break" then "I'm sliding this axe down your throat" comments please.

just kidding.

Have a good one.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A bit territorial are we? :D

16. "I doubt it really. We have how many members that have this head and only one problem so far? Not to mention there are a lot of things that can go wrong when it comes to amp failure. It could have been a power problem with faulty wiring at the venue or just a rogue head with a problem..."

This is why I am getting a replacement , I really like the head and love the tone I'm getting.

"1) No need to start the shelling so quickly...the man complained about gear failing during a show. Frankly, I'm surprised he was so polite about it. "

Actually I was pretty P***ed about it when it happened,but I'm not gonna condemn them for 1 incident.

17. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I don't think quad was directing any of this towards jp1994. I don't think I saw a single thing in any of his posts saying that he didn't get his money's worth when it came to peformance (less the whole stop working thing :p) or that the Kustom was too good to be true. I just assume it was directed towards tekhna's comments ;)

18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

It was in response to the above. :rollno: Just didn't think one bad apple (which ALL manufactures have their share of defective heads) should spoil everybody's opinion of this great head.

I "found" Avatar cabs for TB some years ago as well as other items and then this. Just trying to do my part to "hook up" the TBers with good products for a great prices (I also posted a link the other day for $199 Yamaha BB 404's: Nathan East bodied basses, in the bass forum).

I guess that it'll get to a point one day when too many jackasses keep putting down my "great gear on a budget" suggestions, that I'll just stop doing it... :(

19. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I think the point made above is to take the groovebass related threads less personally. I know you're the initial Avatar/Groovebass proponent, but only because you've posted that statement many times in recent memory. I don't mean to offend, but you don't have to personally uphold the reputation the Groovebass, good gear develops reputation on its own.

On a topic-related note, I have a Groovebass1200 and it's problem free. The phrase 'Too good to be true' isn't at all applicable to this amp

20. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Did we ever find out where the amp is actually produced though? :p