1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom Groovebass troubles!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jp1994, Apr 23, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Now now Quad, no one anywhere said it was a bad amp, and the two good to be true sentence was simply a question, not an attack.

And yes, I wanna know where it's made ;)

2. Please note my bolding. Every decent product has the potential to be too good to be true.

ONE person questions an amp's potential to fail and suddenly he's a jackass and you're threatening to stop posting gear suggestions?

Mike

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Lets all settle down.

This amp has been declaired great by many people. And even though the amp burned out for the original poster, he is still getting ir replaced, rather than refunded. That says enough

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Goog god, will someone please just look on the back of their stupid amp and see where the thing is made??? If the music store was open today, I would march down there and do it myself, since curiousity has now gotten the best of me...

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Uh, I took a sec to download the manual from the Kustom website.

There is a diagram of the back of the amp in it.

It says:
    Designed in USA
    Made in China.

:D

Joe.

6. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    does it really matter where it's made??? all that should matter is how it performs....

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Sure. But there is no reason to not have the question answered just because theoretically it doesn not matter where it was made.

Alot of people were curious.

If you don't care, then fine.

Joe.

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Maybe not, But as a matter of principles, I try not to buy ANYTHING that is made in China... It's not easy... Shoes are the worst...

I'm not putting anyone down who does, it's just my personal decision...

Oh, and thanks Joe, I guess I should have thought of that...

9. Yes, but the difference is that everybody is surprised when GK's do it.

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I think perhaps Quad has too much emotional investment in his gear that he would react like this. My question was a valid, and relevant question, given the circumstances. We have a cheap, good sounding head that has been hyped like mad in the last couple of weeks on this board. So that may very well influence a lot of peoples decisions, correct? It is only right then to show what could potentially go wrong. Made in China is not nessicarily a bad thing, it lowers the price, makes it easier to mass produce, but also POTENTIALLY opens it up to problems that wouldn't otherwise be there. I have no doubt the Groovebass is a great sounding amp, but then again so is the Behringer and see how many of those have had problems.

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    No prob.

Joe.

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well don't compare the Behringer to the Kustom. The ONLY thing that they have in common is the country they were manufactured in. I've tried the Behringer and it looks and feels very cheap. Knobs, front panel, pots, etc are are junk where-as this is NOT the case of the Kustom. In any event, yes we a a failure of one. No biggie. The rest of us with te GB1200 still have reliable, great looking and sounding heads. The warranty ain't bad either:

Fron Kustom's Site:
    At Kustom, we are dedicated to making your purchase one of pleasure. We want you to have years of trouble free performance from our products.

In the event you have a problem with one of our products we want to make it right. We guarantee that our electronic products are free from manufacturing defects for a period of three (3) years. This excludes tubes and raw component speakers, which are given a 90 day warranty.

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Morals of the story:

Moral #1:
    Most newcoming equipment cannot truly be written off as "Unreliable" until at least 1-2 years after it initially hits the markets... because stuff breaks sometimes.

Moral #2:
    Good Customer Service is friggon sweet.

Moral #3:
    De-Caf

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Glad someone else feels this way as well!

Ray

15. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    +1

16. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would say actually Kustom and Behringer have a lot in common beyond place of manufacture. A history of poorly produced, unreliable products that are cheaply produced and cheaply purchased.
    They also have a very nice sounding set of mission statements, and all that marketing jazz. Now perhaps Kustom is making an attempt at becoming a respectable manufacturer, and if so more power to them. In the mean time, you'll have to forgive me for being a little bit sceptical.

17. excellent!!!

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, they used to be good back in the day, they're just making a come back now.

Ray

19. The Kustom I tried out in a store had the chrome chipping off the front, dirty pots, and in my opinion didn't sound too great. I wrote that off as because it was a display model, but then again the Berhinger I saw in a store didn't have any chipping of paint in the front nor any dirty pots.

20. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    You are right.

Kustom easily has as bad a reputation as Behringer. I know that when Kustom started coming out again I thought to myself "Who in their right mind would want to buy that trash?" Everything I knew of Kustom was from days gone by.

But now they appear to be trying to make a comeback (or whoever bought the Kustom name) and are trying to put out a decent product.

We will see what happens in the next few years.

Joe.